You can get help with your legal defense if you are accused of driving under the influence (DUI) in Brea, CA. The professionals at the Simmrin Law Group can provide you with the support you need immediately after your arrest. We can work to:
- Reduce the charges you’re facing
- Get your charges dismissed
- Defend you in the courtroom
Start getting the assistance you deserve now by reaching out to our DUI lawyers in Brea. Let us investigate your charges, construct your defense, and provide you with comprehensive legal help.
DUI Charges in Brea, CA
Drivers who operate a motor vehicle while impaired by either alcohol or drugs may be charged with a DUI in Brea. The state of California uses numerous charges to prosecute DUIs. These charges include:
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(a): Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(d): Driving a Commercial Vehicle with a Blood Alcohol Content of 0.04 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(g): Driving Under the Combined Influence of Alcohol and Drugs
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(f): Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
- California Vehicle Code Section 23153: DUI Causing Injury
These are examples of the charges used to prosecute DUIs and they do not represent all the charges you could face in Brea. DUI charges are often treated as misdemeanors in the court system, though you could also face felony charges.
Your criminal defense lawyer in Brea can build a defense for you regardless of the specific DUI charge you are facing.
Penalties for DUI Convictions in Brea
DUI convictions generally result in a number of serious penalties in Brea. The severity of a DUI conviction may depend upon whether or not:
- You have previous DUI convictions on your record
- Someone was injured in a DUI accident
A conviction for a first-time DUI that did not result in injuries could lead to:
- Jail time of up to six months
- License suspension of up to one year
- Fines of up to $2,000
These penalties will increase each time you are convicted of a DUI. They will also grow more severe if someone was hurt while you were operating a vehicle under the influence of either drugs or alcohol.
Plea Bargains and DUI Charges in Brea
Your DUI lawyer in Brea may be able to resolve your charges in a number of different ways. Your lawyer can investigate your case, gathering facts and working to dispute evidence against you. In many cases, DUI charges are supported by the results of blood alcohol content (BAC) tests or field sobriety tests.
If your lawyer can show that these tests were performed improperly or that their results were not conclusive, they may be able to weaken the prosecution’s case. This can allow your lawyer to negotiate for reduced charges for you.
For example, your lawyer may advise you to accept “dry” reckless charges to resolve a DUI accusation.
The Dismissal of Brea DUI Accusations
Sometimes, DUI charges in Brea may be dismissed entirely. Generally, charges are only dismissed if a traffic violations lawyer can show that you were stopped or arrested by a law enforcement officer without reasonable cause.
Your charges could be dismissed if you were arrested despite the fact that:
- You were not driving erratically
- You did not fail a BAC test
- You had a legitimate reason to fail a field sobriety test
Defenses to DUI Charges in Brea
A DUI lawyer may also need to develop your defense for the courtroom in Brea. Some DUI cases must be handled in front of a judge and jury. Your lawyer can dig into your case while building your defense. The team at the Simmrin Law Group may also:
- Help you during legal interviews
- Work to block evidence against you
- Defend you tirelessly in the courtroom
We can also assist you with your DUI hearing with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). Your DMV hearing is very important, as the DMV can automatically suspend your driver’s license if it is not handled properly. Find out more about how you can get legal assistance with DUI charges in Brea by reaching out to us today.
Talk to a Brea DUI Lawyer Right Now
You don’t have to deal with DUI accusations in Brea on your own. Take charge of your future by contacting the Simmrin Law Group to get help. You can reach us by calling (310) 997-4688 or completing our online contact form.
Build a defense now with our DUI lawyers in Brea. Get started with a FREE consultation.