Have you recently been arrested and accused of committing a sex offense? If so, the consequences you could be facing are severe. It is critical that you take action to protect your freedom and reputation from being destroyed.
With help from an experienced Chino sex crimes lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group, you can go over your defense options and determine which is going to produce the most favorable outcome in your case. Contact our team for a confidential consultation today to learn more about what is next for the sex crime allegations against you.
Examples of Sex Offenses in Chino
There are multiple types of sex crimes it could be accused of committing in the state of California. With help from a sex crimes lawyer in Chino, CA, you may be able to clear your name and protect your reputation. Here are some of the most common types of sex crimes people are arrested for:
- Statutory rape
- Sexual assault and abuse
- Sex crimes against minors
Under California Penal Code §261 PC, you could be accused of rape if you are accused of engaging in non-consensual sexual intercourse. Here, the law requires the use of fraud, threat, or force for a rape offense to apply. Under California Penal Code Section 262 PC, spousal rape is also illegal.
For the prosecutor to obtain a guilty verdict, they will need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:
- The accused had sexual intercourse with the alleged victim
- The alleged victim did not consent to the sexual intercourse
- The accused engaged in non-consensual use of duress, force, violence, menace, or the fear of severe bodily injury or death
An individual can only give their consent to sexual intercourse if they understand the nature of the act and have the mental capacity to give their consent to sexual intercourse. Consent for sexual intercourse can be withdrawn at any time, and the victim must have objected to the act in a way another reasonable person would have recognized that they have not given their consent.
Under California Penal Code Section 261.5 PC, you can be accused of statutory rape if you engage in sexual intercourse with someone who is not your spouse and is under the age of 18. For the prosecutor to obtain a guilty verdict, they will need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:
- The defendant engaged in sexual intercourse with the alleged victim
- The alleged victim was not the defendant’s spouse
- The alleged victim was under the age of 18
If the alleged victim was not more than three years younger than the defendant, statutory rape charges may not apply. Minors can also be charged with statutory rape depending on the specific, depending on the specific details of the case.
Sexual Assault and Abuse
Sexual abuse and assault are defined other California Penal Code Section 243.4 under sexual battery. You can be accused of committing sexual assault or battery if you are accused of touching the intimate parts of another person against their will, while the alleged victim is unlawfully restrained for the purpose of sexual abuse, arousal, or gratification.
Sex Crimes Against Minors
Few types of sex crimes are as heinous as those involving minors. Your sex crimes attorney in Chino, CA will need to carefully evaluate the details of your case to help you defend yourself when you have been accused of such an offense. Some of the more common types of sex crime allegations involving minors include:
- Sending obscene or explicit matter to a child under 18 under California Penal Code Section 288.2 PC
- Committing a lewd or lascivious act on a minor under the age of 16 under California Penal Code Section 288 PC
- Continuous sexual abuse of a child under the age of 14 under California Penal Code Section 288.5 PC
- Oral copulation with a minor child under the age of 18 under California Penal Code Section 287 PC
- Unlawful sexual intercourse with a child under the age of 18 under California Penal Code Section 261.5 PC
- Contacting a minor child with the intent to commit a felony offense under California Penal Code Section 288.3 PC
- Annoying a child under the age of 18 under California Penal Code Section 647.6 PC
- Arranging a meeting with a child under the age of 18 with intent to engage in sexual activities under California Penal Code Section 288.4 PC
- Engaging in sexual activities with a minor under the age of 10 under California Penal Code Section 288.7
For a free legal consultation with a sex crimes lawyer serving Chino, call (310) 896-2723
Criminal Penalties You Are Facing
The consequences of a sex crime conviction are harsh. Your Chino sex crimes attorney will carefully evaluate the evidence that has been gathered against you, the mitigating or aggravating factors present, and other details specific to your case to determine how we should help clear your name and protect your reputation.
However, if you are found guilty, the sentence you receive could have a significant impact on your life for years to come.
If you are found guilty of a sex crime in Chino, you can expect to be ordered to pay fines and restitution to the alleged victim. You may also say civil liability if the alleged victim in your case chooses to pursue a personal injury lawsuit for the alleged abuse they endured.
The amount of your fines will be dependent on whether you were charged at the misdemeanor or felony level, if you have a criminal record, and the specific circumstances of your case.
If you are convicted of a sex offense, you will more than likely be sentenced to time in a San Bernardino county jail or a California state prison. The younger the alleged victim in your case, the more likely it is you will face felony charges and be sent to a California state prison upon conviction.
The type of sex crime you are charged with will determine how long your sentence is. In some cases, you could be convicted of a misdemeanor and spend a matter of months in a San Bernardino county jail. Under the worst circumstances, you could face life in a California state prison.
Chino Sex Crimes Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Call a Sex Crime Lawyer in Chino for Help Today
The impact a sex crime conviction could have on your life is abundantly clear. Make sure you take action to dodge a conviction by contacting a reputable Chino sex crime lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group for a confidential case assessment. You can fill out our quick contact form or call our office to schedule your defense strategy session today.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form