Get professional help handling charges for driving under the influence (DUI) in Cypress, CA. DUI charges can be difficult to resolve on your own. A conviction for a DUI can result in:
- Jail time
- A license suspension
- Required attendance in an alcohol treatment program
Getting help right away from a DUI lawyer in Cypress can improve your odds of successfully handling these charges. The team at the Simmrin Law Group is ready to begin working on your defense now. Let us take steps to get your charges reduced or even dismissed today.
Cypress DUIs: The Basics
The state of California provides us with a basic definition of a DUI. Drivers throughout the state can face DUI charges if they operate a motor vehicle while impaired by:
- Prescription medications
- Illicit drugs
Any level of impairment can lead to DUI charges in Cypress. However, you will always face DUI charges if your blood alcohol content (BAC) exceeds the legal limits of the state. This means that if you are:
- Over 21 you must keep your BAC below 0.08%
- Under 21 you must keep your BAC below 0.01%
- A commercial driver, you must keep your BAC below 0.04%
Exceeding the BAC limits set by the state can always result in a DUI charge. You can get help dealing with these charges by contacting a criminal defense lawyer in Cypress now.
Cypress DUIs: Types of Charges
The court system in Cypress does not use only one charge to prosecute DUIs. In fact, there are many different charges used to handle DUIs, including:
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(a): Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(b): Driving with A Blood Alcohol Content Of 0.08 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(d): Driving a Commercial Vehicle with a Blood Alcohol Content of 0.04 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(f): Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
- California Vehicle Code Section 23153: DUI Causing Injury
These charges are often treated as misdemeanors by the state of California. However, sometimes you can face felony DUI charges, especially if someone was hurt or you have multiple prior DUIs on your record.
Cypress DUIs: The Penalties
DUI convictions tend to result in very severe penalties. You should also be aware that all DUI charges in Cypress are priorable. This means that a conviction remains on your record for a period of 10 years. If you are convicted of another DUI during this period, your penalties will be increased. Focus on some common results for DUI convictions right now:
First DUI Conviction in Cypress
- Jail Time: Up to six months
- Fines: Up to $2,000
- License Suspension: Up to one year
Second DUI Conviction in Cypress
- Jail Time: Up to one year
- Fines: Up to $2,500
- License Suspension: Up to two years
Third DUI Conviction in Cypress:
- Jail Time: Up to one year
- Fines: Up to $3,000
- License Suspension: Up to three years
Cypress DUIs: License Suspension
As you can see, a DUI conviction can result in a lengthy driver’s license suspension. This can make it difficult for you to reach your job and to get around. You should be aware that, for some DUI convictions, you may be able to avoid this suspension.
The court system in California may allow you to install an ignition interlock device (IID) in your vehicle following a DUI conviction. You must breathe into this device every time you wish to operate your vehicle. If it records your BAC as below the legal limit, your vehicle will start.
Find out if an IID is right for you by speaking with a traffic violations lawyer in Cypress after your DUI arrest.
Cypress DUIs: Legal Defenses
A DUI lawyer in Cypress could help you avoid the penalties associated with a DUI conviction by constructing you a strong defense. The team at the Simmrin Law Group could work to show that:
- You were not inebriated when you were operating a vehicle
- The chemical tests you took returned inaccurate results
- You were stopped without due cause by a law enforcement officer
Our professional team can go over the facts of your case today. Let us begin defending you now, so you can face DUI charges with confidence.
A Cypress DUI Lawyer Can Fight for You
Make sure you’re ready to take on DUI charges in Cypress by reaching out to the Simmrin Law Group immediately after you are arrested. We can take steps to get your charges reduced now. In some cases, our DUI lawyers in Cypress can even get your charges dismissed
Call (310) 997-4688 or fill out our online contact form to get a FREE case evaluation now.