Being charged with a federal crime can thrust you into a legal world where one false step can change the rest of your life. Federal prosecutors are highly-trained and have the resources to build incredibly damaging cases. The punishments for federal crimes are extremely harsh, generally leading to fines and prison time that go far beyond what you’d face at the state level.
You can increase your chances of handling federal charges effectively by working with a skilled federal crimes lawyer from Santa Monica. The criminal defense lawyers at the Simmrin Law Group can provide you with local care as you deal with challenging federal charges.
A Federal Crimes Lawyer Can Boost Your Defense
Many people are not expecting the legal difficulties they’ll face if charged with a federal crime. Each federal charge comes with unique challenges. You may need to be able to deal with charges related to:
- Fraud and Theft
- Antitrust Violations
- Child Pornography
- Immigration Law
The federal court system also handles cases involving federal property crimes and federal gun offenses. You will face steep penalties no matter which federal charge you’re dealing with if convicted. You can start working on a defense by seeking professional help from trained Santa Monica federal crimes lawyers who have experience dealing with these cases.
For a free legal consultation with a Criminal Defense lawyer serving Santa Monica, call (310) 928-9347
Federal Fraud Charges
You can be charged with fraud on the federal level if you attempt to use false means to get money from another person or an organization. You might face the following unique charges:
- Bank Fraud. Bank fraud involves attempting to get money from a financial institution through fraudulent or false means.
- Mail Fraud. Any fraudulent scheme that involves the U.S. mail or the work of a private mail carrier is considered mail fraud.
- Wire Fraud. Acts of wire fraud occur when someone uses wire, radio, or television communication to carry out fraudulent activity.
- Bankruptcy Fraud. Individuals commit bankruptcy fraud when they abuse the bankruptcy process in order to benefit financially.
You may be charged and convicted of fraud even if your plan did not succeed and you received no fraudulent funds. A fraud conviction can lead to fines of $1,000 and up to 30 years in prison. Don’t risk your future by fighting fraud charges on your own. A federal crimes lawyer can bolster your case today.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Federal Theft Charges
The federal court system handles acts related to theft in a number of ways. The following charges all deal with theft in some fashion:
- Identity Theft. Identity theft is the act of using the personal information of another person to reap financial benefits that you should not have.
- Bank Robbery. You can be charged with bank robbery any time you take money that does not belong to you from a bank, credit union, or savings and loan institution.
- Counterfeiting. Counterfeiting involves creating false documents that can be sold or used illegally. Money is often counterfeited.
- Money Laundering. Individuals engage in money laundering when they take illegally gained money and “clean” it so that it appears to be legitimate.
Depending on the federal theft charges you face, you could end up having to pay a fine of up to $500,000. You might be sentenced to 30 years in prison, and if someone is killed during the course of the theft, you could even get the death penalty.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
Additional Federal Charges
There are many other charges you could face in the federal court system. Some common examples include:
Conspiracy can occur anytime at least two people decide that they will commit a crime together. This can apply to any criminal act and you do not have to be successful in order to be convicted. Depending on your situation, a conspiracy conviction could result in the death penalty.
You may need assistance with immigration law if you are facing deportation from the country. While charges related to immigration law do not generally result in jail time, they can lead to your forcible removal from the country and your family members.
Child pornography involves explicitly sexual images of minors. The federal government forbids individuals from making, owning, or distributing these images. You can face high fines and up to 30 years in prison if convicted of a child pornography charge.
Federal Gun Offense
The federal government considers it illegal for members of certain groups to possess a firearm. If you are a member of one of these groups and are found with a gun you could end up facing life in prison.
Federal Property Crime
Any crime that takes place on federal property automatically becomes a federal property crime. This means that the crime will be treated more seriously and a conviction will come with harsher penalties.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Find the Help You Need to Deal with Federal Charges
The Simmrin Law Group has experience defending clients right here in Santa Monica from federal charges. Our skilled team understands the federal system and has a history of beating federal prosecutors. Start working on your defense by contacting us today for a FREE consultation. We’re ready to go to work for you.
Call us at (310) 997-4688 or fill out the form on the right to focus on getting the help you need.