You can end up in serious legal trouble if you are accused of a white collar crime. While these financially motivated acts generally don’t hurt anyone, they are still punished very harshly by the court system in South Gate with fines and jail time.
You can get help dealing with a white collar crime charge from the Simmrin Law Group. You can rely on our white collar crime lawyers in South Gate to build you a solid defense. Get the support you need by working with legal professionals before it’s too late.
Fraud as a White Collar Crime in South Gate
The act of fraud involves lying to or misleading an individual or an organization in order to gain a financial benefit. Individuals can be charged with fraud if they:
- Bribe an insurer
- Charge a customer for an unnecessary service
- Falsify documents
- Bill services more than once
- Submit a false claim for services
There are many different types of fraud that are considered criminal acts. Most forms of fraud can be charged as misdemeanors or felonies. Any of the following charges could change the rest of your life:
- Auto Insurance Fraud. You could face 1-3 years of jail time and up to $50,000 in fines for auto insurance fraud.
- Health Care Fraud. Convictions for health care fraud can lead to 1-5 years of jail time and fines of $10,000 – $50,000.
- Medi-Cal Fraud. Individuals who commit Medi-Cal fraud can be fined up to $10,000 and can spend 3 years in jail.
- Mortgage Fraud. You can be sentenced to 3 years in jail and left with fines of up to $10,000 if you are convicted of mortgage fraud.
- Unemployment Insurance Fraud. If you are convicted of unemployment insurance fraud, you could be fined $20,000 and sent to state prison for 3 years.
- Workers Compensation Fraud. People convicted of workers compensation fraud can end up in jail for 5 years and left with fines of $150,000.
Dealing with fraud charges on your own can end up weakening your case. You can get help fighting these charges from a criminal defense lawyer in South Gate. Make sure you’re ready for any legal battle by getting professional help on your side.
South Gate’s Charges for Embezzlement
Embezzlement takes place when an individual takes money or property that they were entrusted with and misuses it for personal gain. We commonly see embezzlement in the business world, but family members and acquaintances can also embezzle from one another.
The court system in South Gate generally prosecutes embezzlement with these charges:
Petty Theft Embezzlement
You can be charged with petty theft embezzlement for embezzling less than $950. The penalties for petty theft embezzlement include 6 months of jail time and fines of $1,000.
Grand Theft Embezzlement
Individuals who embezzle more than $950 can be charged with grand theft embezzlement. A grand theft embezzlement conviction can lead to 3 years in jail and fines of up to $10,000.
Understanding the Effects of a Probation Violation
Probation violations may also be considered white collar crimes in South Gate. The court system sometimes sentences individuals to probation instead of time in jail or prison. While on probation, you are required to follow specific rules set down by the court.
Individuals who break any court-mandated guideline are committing probation violations. There are many ways to violate your probation, including by:
- Using drugs or alcohol
- Missing a meeting with your probation officer
- Breaking any kind of minor law
- Driving with an invalid license
- Failing to attend a program ordered by the court
The penalties for probation violations can be very harsh. You could:
- Be given stricter guidelines to govern your probation
- Have your probationary period lengthened
- Be sent to jail
Dealing with a probation violation right away can improve your chances of winning your case. Let a white collar crimes lawyer provide you with the legal advice you need if you’ve been accused of violating your probation.
White Collar Crime Lawyers are Here to Help You
The penalties for losing a white collar crime case can be extreme. You can end up imprisoned and left with impossible fines. Getting professional help right away from a white collar crimes lawyer in South Gate can improve your odds of success in court. The Simmrin Law Group has the experience necessary to take on your case. You can use our FREE consultation to find out how we can help you.