When you have been accused of committing a hit and run, it is important to take steps to clear your name of the allegations that have been made against you. Hit-and-run charges are serious offenses with harsh criminal penalties if you are convicted.
Take steps to protect your future when you reach out to an experienced Chino Hills hit-and-run lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group. When you schedule your confidential consultation, you can find out more about which defenses could be used to dodge a conviction in your case.
When Hit-and-Run Charges Apply
You can be charged with leaving the scene of an accident without providing your contact information and insurance details to the driver of the vehicle who hit you.
Depending on the circumstances of your case, you could be charged with a misdemeanor or felony hit and run. Your criminal record, whether there were any injuries, the amount of damage caused in the accident, and other factors will all be taken into account. Your hit-and-run lawyer in Chino Hills, CA will work diligently to get the hit-and-run charges against you reduced to a misdemeanor or lesser offense in the hopes of obtaining a favorable outcome in your case.
According to California Vehicle Code §20001, you can be charged with a hit and run involving an injury or a hit and run that does not involve an injury under California Vehicle Code 20002. You are more likely to be charged at the misdemeanor level if there was no physical bodily injury. However, if someone was injured, it is far more likely that you will be charged at the felony level.
For a free legal consultation with a hit-and-run accidents lawyer serving Chino Hills, call (310) 896-2723
Elements of a Hit-and-Run Offense
For the state’s prosecutor to obtain a conviction beyond a reasonable doubt for a hit and run, they will need to demonstrate that the elements of the events have been met. These elements include:
- You were driving and involved in a motor vehicle crash
- The motor vehicle crash caused serious bodily injury or death to another party
- You knew or should have known that you were involved in an accident that caused serious bodily injury or death
- You failed to remain at the scene of the accident
Chino Hills Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
What to Do if You Are Charged with a Hit-and-Run in Chino Hills
After you have been involved in a hit-and-run accident, it is important that you remain at the scene. However, it is common for those who were never involved in a motor vehicle accident to face hit-and-run charges after being mistaken for another party.
For this reason, as soon as you learn that you are being investigated for a hit and run, it is important that you reach out to your hit and run attorney in Chino Hills, CA for legal guidance and support. Your attorney can then discuss the potential charges with the police and determine what can be done to resolve this matter before formal charges are filed.
However, if formal hit-and-run charges are filed, you can pre-arrange bail with your attorney so you can be released from police custody soon after your arraignment. From there, we can work together to determine how to best approach your defense.
Click to contact our Chino Hills Car Accident Lawyers today
How a Chino Hills Hit-and-Run Lawyer Can Help
Our hit-and-run lawyers are here to help you avoid being found guilty of the criminal charges you are facing. You already feel the weight of the world on your shoulders when your freedom is on the line.
We can ease that burden by handling all of the legal details of your case. You can rely on your hit-and-run attorney in Chino Hills to:
- Review the evidence obtained by the state during discovery
- Speak with potential witnesses to the alleged offense
- Pull copies of your driving record
- Review video surveillance or footage of the accident in question
- Analyze your vehicle for property damages
- Work with the state’s prosecuting attorney to obtain a plea agreement or pretrial diversion
- Prepare a compelling defense strategy to be used at trial
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Potential Consequences of a Hit-and-Run Conviction in Chino Hills
The consequences for a conviction can vary depending on whether you were charged with an offense under CA VC 20001 or CA VC 20002. Whether you were charged with a misdemeanor or a felony offense will also have an impact on the criminal penalties you will face:
- If you are found guilty of a misdemeanor under CA VC 20002, you could be fined $1,000 and face up to six months in a county jail
- If you are found guilty of a misdemeanor under CA VC 20001, you could be fined up to $10,000 and spend up to one year in a county jail
- If you are convicted of a felony under CA VC 20001, you could spend up to four years in a state prison and be fined up to $10,000
How to Challenge Chino Hills Hit-and-Run Allegations
You can defend yourself against the hit-and-run allegations that have been made against you in a multitude of ways. Some of the potential defenses that could be utilized in your case include:
- Failure to willfully leave the scene of an accident
- You were not driving the vehicle at the time of the accident
- You did not know that you had been involved in a car accident
- You were physically unable to stop after the accident
Speak with a Hit-and-Run Lawyer in Chino Hills for Help Today
If you are hoping to escape the criminal penalties and collateral consequences of a hit-and-run conviction, presenting a powerful defense at trial may be in your best interests. However, in some instances, pretrial diversion may be a better option.
You can learn more about how to defend yourself and avoid the adverse implications of a guilty verdict when you contact an aggressive Chino Hills hit-and-run attorney at the Simmrin Law Group for help. Schedule your confidential consultation today when you call our office or complete our secured contact form.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form