If you’re looking for a Glendale criminal defense lawyer, you are either being investigated for a crime or someone you love has been arrested. In either situation, you are likely not sure what to do. At the Simmrin Law Group, we get it. There are few scarier things than being arrested by the police.
The first thing to do is get legal assistance as soon as possible. Whether you’ve been charged with a misdemeanor, a felony, or you face multiple charges at the state or federal level, we can help. The experienced professionals at the Simmrin Law Group specialize in one or more areas of criminal law. With every case, we build a strategic defense that will stand up in court with the goal of helping you avoid jail or prison time.
First Steps if You Get Arrested in Glendale
When you have just been arrested in Glendale, it can be confusing and upsetting. You do not know who to trust or where to turn. The first thing you must do is remain calm and try to be aware of what you say. You may feel the need to apologize or explain the situation, but saying anything without legal representation can inadvertently hurt your case.
- First, do not talk to the police without a criminal defense lawyer in the room. The police will try and get you talking, but all you need to say is, “I want a lawyer.” Then, stay quiet and refuse to answer any questions until your lawyer arrives.
- It is also critical that you do not plead guilty without talking to a Glendale criminal defense attorney first. The prosecutors do not have your best interests in mind. They want to increase their conviction rates and might seek to punish you to the fullest extent of the law.
You may think or feel like you have “nothing to hide” when talking to the police. And while we always support truthfulness and honesty during an investigation or after an arrest, we also know the police often take advantage of people acting with the best intentions. That is why you need a skilled criminal defense lawyer in Glendale right away.
Glendale City Jail Information
If you are looking for someone who has been arrested in Glendale, you will likely find them at the Glendale City Jail. There, they need to wait for an initial appearance on their charges. If their charge carries a preset bond established by a court, they can be released after posting.
For a free legal consultation with a criminal defense lawyer serving Glendale, call (310) 896-2723
A Glendale Criminal Defense Attorney Will Help You Defend Your Rights
In many cases, getting a criminal defense attorney in Glendale immediately after your arrest can be the difference between going to jail or getting the charges dismissed. Being arrested is no joke. Even though you know you are a good citizen who only wants to cooperate with the law, you may not be treated that way by law enforcement and prosecutors.
Human rights violations are one of the most important things an attorney can use in your defense. Known as your Miranda rights, these are the rights of anyone who has just been arrested:
You Have the Right to Remain Silent
This is perhaps the smartest thing you can do when you are arrested. Most of us feel the need to explain everything that happened to the first police officer we see. Most of the time, a person has the best intentions and just wants to clear their name. However, some police officers tend to use that against you, even the details you would not think would have any impact on your case.
Silence really is golden in a criminal defense case. You should not share any detail with the police or investigators until your lawyer is present.
You Have the Right to an Attorney of Your Choice
You should call a lawyer as soon as possible. Many police officers will tell you that “you don’t need a lawyer if you have nothing to hide.” This is usually a trick to try and incriminate you by talking about your innocence. They may also try to scare you into accepting a state attorney, but remember that you have the right to an attorney of your choice.
Hiring the right Glendale criminal defense attorney to be present during your first hearing or court appearance can be the difference between walking home or facing jail time. At Simmrin Law Group, we are committed to getting the best outcome available for you throughout the legal process.
You Have the Right to a Speedy Trial
You have the right to have a speedy trial under the Sixth Amendment of the United States Constitution. That means you must be brought to trial or released within a reasonable amount of time. No law enforcer can detain you indefinitely without a justifiable reason.
Glendale Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Types of Cases a Criminal Defense Lawyer Can Help You With
A criminal defense attorney in Glendale can represent you during your legal process. Some of the charges they can help you with are:
- Theft crimes: Depending on the value of the stolen items, the state of California can decide to punish it as a misdemeanor or a felony.
- Lewd conduct: Glendale police officers have been known to go undercover while looking for suspects of lewd conduct.
- Domestic violence: Domestic violence is punished particularly hard in California. It is considered a “wobbler” offense, which means it can be punished as a misdemeanor or a felony.
- Marijuana offenses: Even though marijuana is mostly legal in California, there are still related crimes that the law pursues. For instance, being found with an unusually large amount of marijuana or driving under the influence can get you in serious trouble.
- Assault and battery: Assault and battery are serious offenses. But it can become even more serious when it involves members of the same household or family.
- Injury and death threats: Making threats of death or serious bodily injuries to someone is a crime in Glendale. It can lead to jail time, and it can even be considered a “strike” under California law, which can make offenders subject to harsher penalties.
- Hit-and-run: The punishment for a hit-and-run can grow significantly depending on the number of people injured and the amount of damage. We can also assist with other traffic violations.
- Elder abuse: Committing any type of abuse against senior citizens can be prosecuted and punished with jail. California law considers senior citizens those over 65 years old.
- Burglary: Being accused of burglary under California law can be punished with steep fines and even jail time.
- White-collar crimes: Offenses like fraud, corporate theft, or embezzlement are considered white-collar crimes and are prosecuted in California. Anyone who has been served a warrant must contact a lawyer as soon as possible.
These are just some of the many offenses the experienced Glendale criminal defense lawyers at the Simmrin Law Group can help you face. Ask about the particulars of your case when you schedule your free consultation.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
How Can a Glendale Criminal Defense Lawyer Help You?
The criminal justice system is complex and confusing. It can also be frustrating and time-consuming. So many cases are on the docket each year that it can take weeks or even months before your hearing or trial. At Simmrin Law Group, however, we do not give up on you.
You can count on our criminal defense legal team to assist you through every step of your case. We offer a number of ways to protect your rights and ensure you have the representation you deserve.
We Provide a Free Consultation and Review of Your Case
Look for an attorney or law group you can talk to without committing to hiring them. It is even possible to get free legal assistance if you or a loved one has been arrested. Simmrin offers free initial case evaluations with no risk and no obligation to hire us.
We believe you will decide to engage us because of our experience and commitment to your case.
We Help You With Bail and Being Released without Bail
The judge normally sets bail at a court hearing not long after your arrest. A big law firm can help you get the bail money you need, represent you at the bail hearing, and try to get the bail amount lowered. In some cases, a skilled Glendale criminal defense attorney can get you released without bail.
We Help You Decide Whether to Plea Bargain
The prosecutor may have already approached you with an offer of a “deal” if you plead guilty at your first hearing. In most cases, this first offer is not a good one. Most attorneys will advise you to enter an initial plea of Not Guilty and negotiate a better deal later. All of this depends on the unique circumstances of your particular case.
We Conduct Our Own Independent Investigation
The police are not the only ones who can do detective work. As a big law firm, the Simmrin Law Group can launch an investigation, looking at:
- What evidence the police have against you
- How they gathered it
- What evidence they neglected to collect
- How they treated and processed you
In many cases, your lawyer can identify ways the police violated your rights to help your case.
We Challenge the Evidence Before and During Your Trial
Your lawyer does not have to wait until trial to challenge the evidence against you, such as witness testimony or low-quality surveillance video. If the judge rules in your favor, the evidence is excluded or ruled inadmissible in court. This is good news for your case.
We Can Negotiate Better Terms
Your attorney can help you negotiate with the prosecutor and may be able to get you an outcome with no jail or reduced jail time. They may even be able to get the judge to dismiss the case. If that happens, you can walk away free.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Glendale Criminal Defense Lawyer for Free
When you need help facing jail time or high fines from an arrest, you need a reputable Glendale criminal defense lawyer from the Simmrin Law Group. If you or a loved one has been arrested, we are on your side to fight hard for you.
Contact us today for a free case evaluation. We are available to help you 24/7.