If you face a 5150 hold in Glendale, you can be held at a mental health treatment facility against your will. At this point, your legal rights are being violated. On top of that, you may need a Glendale 5150 holds lawyer to help you out.
Simmrin Law Group is a California law firm with extensive experience with 5150 holds. Reach out to our 5150 holds lawyer in Glendale. Once you do, our attorney can take the necessary steps to make sure your legal rights are protected.
How a 5150 Hold in Glendale Works
A 5150 is a mental health hold that lasts up to 72 hours. The hold requires you to remain in a mental health treatment facility during this time. A law enforcement officer or healthcare professional can authorize the hold at any time.
You can be placed on a 5150 hold for any of the following reasons:
- You are considered a threat to yourself.
- You are considered a threat to others.
- You have a grave disability that restricts your ability to care for yourself.
A Glendale 5150 holds attorney cannot necessarily stop you from being placed in a mental health treatment facility against your will. The lawyer will make sure your legal rights remain intact for the duration of your hold. In addition, the attorney does their part to help you achieve the best outcome from your hold.
For a free legal consultation with a 5150 holds lawyer serving Glendale, call (310) 896-2723
What Can Happen When a 5150 Hold in Glendale Ends
There are four possible outcomes from a 5150 hold:
1. You Are Free to Return to Your Everyday Activities
In most instances, this represents the best-case-scenario outcome. If this happens, a treating facility staff finds you are mentally competent, not a threat to yourself or others, and capable of taking care of yourself. The staff finds you are able to return to your daily life without endangering yourself or others.
2. You Decide to Continue Your Mental Health Treatment
A Certification Review Hearing may be completed, and a Mental Health Hearing Referee may decide there is no probable cause to require you to receive further treatment against your will. However, you still have the option to voluntarily remain at a treatment facility. You can continue to receive treatment at this time until you feel you have received all of the help you need to feel your best once again.
3. You Are Placed on a 5250 Hold
A 5250 hold works in a similar fashion to a 5150, except this hold, lasts up to 14 days. During a 5250, you continue to receive mental health treatment under the supervision of the treating facility’s staff. At the conclusion of a 5250 hold, a Certification Review Hearing is held to determine the next step.
4. You Are Referred to the Office of the Public Guardian for a Conservatorship
If treating facility staff has serious concerns about your mental well-being, they may refer your case to the Office of the Public Guardian. In this instance, the Office of the Public Guardian conducts an investigation to decide if a conservatorship should be enacted. If a conservatorship is approved, you lose the ability to make decisions regarding your mental health treatments.
You can hire a 5150 holds attorney in Glendale to assist you during and after your mental health hold. The lawyer learns why your 5150 was enacted and makes sure you receive plenty of legal help. With an experienced attorney at your side, you can limit the risk that a 5250 or conservatorship is ultimately put into place.
Glendale 5150 Holds Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
What You Need to Do During a 5150 Hold in Glendale
A 5150 hold can cause you to worry, but it is important to accept the hold as an opportunity to learn and grow. As you begin a 5150, keep an open mind. Once your hold begins, you should:
- Learn from the treating facility’s staff. Remember, the staff only wants to help you, and you can listen to their treatment recommendations and follow them to get the best results out of your experience.
- Avoid arguments. Try not to get into disputes with treating facility staff members and patients, as these arguments can impact your ability to get released from the facility.
- Avoid physical contact. Do not engage in any physical contact with treating facility staff members or patients since this may compel the Mental Health Hearing Referee to recommend a 5250 or conservatorship be enacted.
- Take care of yourself. Do your best to manage your physical and mental well-being and show the treating facility staff you have what it takes to care for yourself.
- Connect with a patient’s rights advocate. You are entitled to work with a patients’ rights advocate that represents your best interests in a Certification Review Hearing.
Along with these things, it pays to partner with a 5150 holds lawyer. You and your attorney can work together to ensure your legal rights are protected during your mental health hold and after it ends. Your lawyer works diligently on your behalf to verify you receive the legal support you deserve.
How to Select a 5150 Holds Lawyer in Glendale
Do not wait to hire a 5150 holds attorney. If you need legal help with a 5150, search for an attorney that:
- Understands the ins and outs of 5150 holds. Your attorney should have comprehensive experience with 5150 holds and how to navigate cases in which their clients are coping with mental health issues.
- Treats each client with respect. Your lawyer should allocate the time, energy, and resources required to learn about your case and provide you with the legal tools and resources you need to succeed.
- Advocates for their clients. Your lawyer should work in lockstep with you to explore every opportunity to help you achieve the optimal case result.
- Responds to your legal concerns and questions. Your attorney should encourage you to share any legal concerns or questions and respond to them right away.
At Simmrin Law Group, we are here to help you with your 5150 hold. To learn more or request a free case evaluation, please get in touch with us today.