Being charged with DUI can be a scary situation. If you’ve been pulled over for drunk driving or driving under the influence (DUI) of drugs, you need a skilled Glendale DUI lawyer by your side. The Simmrin Law Group has a number of experienced DUI lawyers who will listen to your story of what happened, and take your side. In many cases, we can get the charges reduced or dismissed. Our goal is to get you the best possible outcome.
Our criminal defense team defends clients who are first time offenders, as well as repeat offenders. We believe everyone is entitled to a strong defense. We offer you a FREE consultation on your case, and we can meet with you at the police department, at the hospital, or wherever you need us.
Blood Alcohol Content Levels
California has a blood alcohol content (BAC) limit of .08% for when you’re driving a motor vehicle. If your BAC is above that level, you will be charged with driving under the influence (DUI). However, other limits have been set by the California legislature in addition to the .08% rule.
- Commercial Vehicle Drivers: Must have a BAC below .04%
- Drivers Under the Age of 21: Must have a BAC below .01%
Refusing to take a breathalyzer test to determine your BAC could mean that you face a year-long suspension of your driver’s license. It is sometimes better to take the test, since there are ways for a skilled DUI defense lawyer to dispute the results.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Glendale, call (310) 928-9347
Possible DUI Penalties
DUI penalties in California depend on whether this is your first offense, as well as other circumstances. Keep in mind, if you drive for a living, you face potential loss of work on top of any legal penalties. If you are convicted of DUI, you face the following penalties:
First DUI Offense
- License suspended from 1 month to 1 year.
- Jail time ranging from 2 days to 6 months.
- Fine of up to $2,000.
- Mandatory completion of a shorter alcohol treatment program.
Second DUI Offense
- License suspended from 90 days to 2 years.
- Jail time ranging from 4 days to 1 year.
- Fine of up to $2,500.
- Mandatory completion of an 18-month alcohol treatment program.
Third DUI Offense
- License suspended up to 3 years.
- Jail time ranging from 120 days to 1 year.
- Fine of up to $3,000.
- Mandatory completion of an 18-month alcohol treatment program
Also, Los Angeles is one of four pilot counties in California in which the use of an Ignition Interlock Device (IID) is mandatory if you are convicted of a DUI. It doesn’t matter if you live in another county which is not one of the pilot counties. If the offense and conviction happened in Los Angeles County, you are required to install an IID on any vehicle you drive, at your own expense. The Ignition Interlock Device is essentially is a breathalyzer in your own vehicle that will require you to blow a BAC below the legal limit in order for your car to start.
Penalties for a conviction for driving under the influence of drugs are much the same as for a DUI conviction.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Potential Defense Against a DUI Charge
There are a number of legal defenses our criminal defense team will explore in your case. These include:
- You were actually not “under the influence” of drugs or alcohol.
- A mental or physical condition such as anxiety or exhaustion gave the appearance that you were under the influence.
- The administration and/or collection of the breathalyzer or blood or urine samples were mishandled or done incorrectly.
- And more, depending on the individual circumstances of your case.
Other Traffic Violations Charges We Can Help You With
The Glendale DUI lawyers at the Simmrin Law Group can also help you with a number of other traffic violations charges. We are experienced with all of the idiosyncrasies of traffic court and the DMV, and will work to get you the best possible outcome, with the least disruption to your life.
Common traffic violations charges include:
- Driving on a Suspended License
- Driving Without Insurance
- Reckless Driving
- Red Light Camera Tickets
- Speeding Tickets
- Other Traffic Violations
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a DUI Lawyer in Glendale, CA for Free
If you or a loved one has is facing a DUI or other traffic charges, you need an experienced Glendale DUI lawyer to help you navigate the legal system.. Call the Simmrin Law Group at 310-997-4688 or use our contact form for a free case evaluation. We’re available to help you 24/7.