If you have been injured in a tractor-trailer accident in Hawthorne, you need a Hawthorne truck accident lawyer who truly understands what you are experiencing. As a victim, you are likely overwhelmed by medical bills and lost income during recovery.
At Simmrin Law Group, our Hawthorne personal injury lawyers understand the physical and emotional toll this type of accident can take, having assisted many clients with similar situations. That is why our law firm is devoted to helping you obtain the compensation you need so that you can focus on healing.
What Injuries Did You Sustain in the Hawthorne Truck Accident?
After you suffer injuries in a Hawthorne truck accident, you need to be aware of what injuries you could have. Going to the doctor after you get injured can help you determine if you have any of the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries
- Accidental amputation
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Neck injuries such as whiplash
For a free legal consultation with a truck accident lawyer serving Hawthorne, call (310) 896-2723
How Long Do You Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Hawthorne?
According to California’s statute of limitations, after you’ve been injured in a truck accident in Hawthorne, you have two years from the accident date to file a claim. Remember, you should file your claim after you have completed your medical treatment.
One of our Hawthorne truck accident attorneys at Simmrin Law Group can examine your case in a free consultation and determine what your deadline is. Then, we can help you file your claim in time.
Hawthorne Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
What Causes Truck Accidents in California?
In California, the highways have a high traffic volume, which means there are a lot of other cars truck drivers have to avoid accidents with. However, there is still a high rate of accidents with semi trucks because of the following reasons:
- Driver fatigue: Driving while tired greatly increases the risk of accidents caused by delayed reaction times or falling asleep at the wheel. Many truck drivers fail to get sufficient rest due to tight schedules.
- Aggressive driving: Speeding, tailgating, and unsafe lane changes are dangerous driving behaviors that some truck drivers exhibit. At high speeds and weights, trucks require much longer to stop or avoid collisions.
- Distraction: Using cell phones or other devices while driving is against the law but still occurs. Even moments of inattention can result in loss of vehicle control at highway speeds for large trucks.
- Overloading cargo: Some truckers try to haul more weight than is safe to meet delivery quotas, which can compromise vehicle handling and braking ability up hills or in bad weather.
- Skip safety checks: Failing to inspect brakes, tires, lights, and other critical components regularly can cause preventable breakdowns that endanger other drivers. Carriers may pressure drivers to forego thorough pre-trip checks.
- Ignoring warnings: Fatigued or careless drivers sometimes overlook signs of trouble like low fuel or air pressure alerts until it’s too late to pull over safely, leading to emergencies.
What If I Am Partly Negligent for the Truck Accident?
California uses a comparative negligence system, and it’s an at-fault state. This means that if you get into an accident, there are chances you, as the injured driver, could also be at fault. Some common reasons you could also be at fault are texting while driving, merging too soon in front of a truck, and speeding.
So, if you can be liable for your accident, how is your compensation affected? Well, the percentage that you are liable for in the accident is the percentage that your compensation will be reduced. So, if the investigation determines that you are 30% at fault, your settlement or damages will decrease by 30%.
Our Hawthorne truck accident lawyers understand that being in a situation like this is stressful. That’s why we’re ready to prove that the other party is mostly at fault to decrease your liability. We won’t let the insurance company manipulate you and your settlement.
What Damages Can You Recover After a Hawthorne Semi Truck Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a Hawthorne semi-truck accident, you may be able to recover financial compensation for the following types of damages through a personal injury lawsuit:
- Medical expenses: This includes all past and future costs for emergency response, hospitalization, surgeries, prescription medications, physical therapy, mobility devices, and other treatment required related to injuries from the accident.
- Lost wages: Compensation is recoverable for income lost due to an inability to work as a result of accident-related injuries.
- Pain and suffering: You can pursue damages to compensate for both physical pain experienced as well as mental and emotional distress like depression, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder following the trauma of the collision.
- Property damage: Valuables destroyed outright in the crash, like your vehicle, can be claimed, as well as repair and replacement costs for belongings that were damaged.
- Wrongful death: In cases of fatality, families depend on financial support no longer available due to the death. Compensation can address lost income and the economic value of household services provided by the deceased.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
What Evidence Can a Hawthorne Truck Accident Attorney Gather for Your Case?
Building a strong personal injury case requires solid evidence to support your claim and assign responsibility. As the injured party, here are the key types of evidence you and your Hawthorne truck accident lawyer will work to gather regarding the circumstances of the accident:
You should contact anyone who witnessed the events leading up to the collision. You should obtain their contact information and make detailed statements about what they observed of the vehicles’ movements, traffic signals, road conditions, speeds, and other relevant factors. You may need to call witnesses to testify in court.
Photos and Videos
You should thoroughly photograph the accident scene, positions of the vehicles, traffic patterns, weather conditions, and damage to all involved vehicles and property. You should also obtain any available videos from traffic cameras or nearby businesses that may provide additional visual evidence. Close-up photos can capture important details like skid marks.
Your lawyer can compile all medical records from ambulance transport, emergency room visits, hospitalizations, surgeries, prescription history, therapy treatments, doctors’ follow-ups, and evaluations. This evidence will show the full treatment timeline and diagnosis of all injuries directly caused by the accident. It will establish the causes and costs of care received.
Police and Investigative Reports
You should obtain the police reports, crash reports, traffic citations, field sobriety test results, and any other documents from the initial investigation. Our team may request further investigation by accident reconstruction experts to analyze factors within their scope, like speeds, weights, and vehicle positioning. This evidence aims to determine legal responsibility.
Through subpoenas or records demands, your Hawthorne truck accident lawyer will request all recent inspection logs, repair receipts, and violations related to the commercial vehicle when applicable. This checks for any negligence in properly maintaining the vehicle that contributed to the incident.
Contact Us to Get a Free Case Evaluation After Your Hawthorne Truck Accident
At Simmrin Law Group, our Hawthorne truck accident attorneys can help you get justice for your pain. We’ll be with you at every step of your case.
Contact us for a free consultation.