A truck accident is a severe life event that can change your life in a matter of seconds. Whether it be medical debt or lifelong injuries, you need a Lake Forest truck accident lawyer to help you get through the difficult legal process.
At Simmrin Law Group, our personal injury lawyers in Lake Forest can help you face the insurance companies and recover the compensation you need. We fight for every damage you’re eligible for.
How Much Time do You Have to File a Truck Accident Claim in Lake Forest?
When you’ve been injured in a truck accident, you’re likely focused on medical treatment and recovery rather than legal deadlines. However, every state has statutes of limitations governing the time frame to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit after a crash.
According to California’s statute of limitations, you generally have two years from the accident date to file a personal injury lawsuit. This two-year statute of limitations applies to claims of negligence against a commercial motor carrier or other at-fault party.
If the two-year deadline is missed, you lose the ability to pursue financial compensation through the court system. However, this deadline can be tolled (paused) if injuries do not immediately manifest or are still developing.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Lake Forest, call (310) 896-2723
What Factors Determine Your Settlement Amount After a Truck Accident?
Many factors contribute to determining a fair financial settlement amount after a truck accident. One of the most important factors is liability, how much fault can reasonably be assigned to each party involved in the crash. If investigators find the trucking company to be more at fault, it increases the settlement amount they will be required to pay.
The severity of injuries sustained is also a major determinant. Settlement amounts tend to increase substantially for victims who suffer serious and long-term injuries like traumatic brain injuries, broken bones, lost limbs, and other impacts that require extensive medical care now and in the future. Current and projected future medical costs are carefully calculated based on bills incurred to date, as well as cost projections produced by medical experts.
For example, if the truck driver was under the influence of alcohol, your injuries could be catastrophic due to the loss of control drinking creates. Settlement amounts may also correlate to considerations like the victim’s age and life expectancy. Younger victims who were severely injured have significantly more future earnings years ahead of them compared to older individuals, resulting in higher settlement values.
Case law precedents from prior similar trucking liability lawsuits and their verdicts provide an anchor for settlement negotiations. Insurance policy liability limits that commercial vehicle insurers are obligated by law to provide also factor into settlement discussions.
Lake Forest Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
What do the Insurance Companies Ask After a Truck Accident, and How Can a Lawyer Help?
After a truck accident, the insurance companies for the commercial vehicle and its carrier will likely start investigating the incident. Their goal is to determine liability and assess damages to limit their financial payouts. Some of the key things they will want to know include:
- What exactly happened in the accident from your perspective? They may ask for a detailed description of events leading up to and during the crash.
- Were there any contributing actions by you, such as speeding, distracted driving, or failure to follow traffic laws? Insurance companies will look for any way to shift partial blame away from their insured.
- What injuries have resulted, and what medical treatment have you received so far? They will want full details of injuries, doctors visited, and prognoses to value the claim.
- Have you missed any work or incurred additional expenses? Non-medical costs like lost wages, vehicle repairs or replacement, and other damages are part of the claim value.
- Is anyone else at fault who could share liability? The company may try to argue partial fault of other drivers or road conditions to pay out less.
Dealing directly with insurance companies after an accident can be difficult. This is where retaining an experienced truck accident lawyer in Lake Forest from Simmrin Law Group helps. The lawyer can:
- Manage communications and information gathering to protect your rights and interests.
- Ensure you are fully compensated for all damages by countering efforts to minimize liability or injury impacts.
- Negotiate damages claims from a position of strength with representation during the insurance settlement process.
- If necessary, file a lawsuit to seek a fair resolution if full compensation is not offered voluntarily.
Click to contact our Personal Injury Lawyer today
What Losses Can You Recover After a Lake Forest Truck Accident?
If you’ve been injured in a trucking accident in Lake Forest, it’s important to understand the full scope of losses and damages you may be able to recover compensation for. An experienced truck accident attorney in Lake Forest can help evaluate your claim and pursue recovery of economic and non-economic losses. Some of the key types of recoverable losses may include:
- Medical expenses: This includes all past and future costs for doctor visits, surgeries, prescriptions, physical therapy, rehabilitation, and other medical treatment required as a result of injuries from the crash.
- Lost wages: If the accident prevented you from working or caused wage loss, compensation for past and potential future lost income may be available.
- Property damage: The repair or replacement costs for any vehicle, property, or personal items damaged in the collision are recoverable.
- Pain and suffering: No dollar amount can fully compensate for enduring physical and mental injuries, but monetary damages can help.
- Loss of quality of life: Significant accidents can limit the ability to enjoy life activities, hobbies, and relationships, warranting compensation.
- Disfigurement and permanent disability: Lifelong impacts like scarring, amputation, or loss of mobility deserve appropriate damages.
- Punitive damages: In cases of willful or reckless negligence, punitive charges may be applied to punish the carrier and deter unsafe conduct.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact Us After You’ve Been Injured in a Truck Accident in Lake Forest
Our truck accident attorneys in Lake Forest know how overwhelming it is to take on a truck accident case. But when you work with Simmrin Law Group, you’re not alone, and we’ll do most of the work for you.
Contact us today for a free consultation.