Residents of and visitors to Alhambra often take advantage of the city’s proximity to the Pacific Coast and lakes and take in the scenery while boating. Unfortunately, these picturesque adventures can result in boating accidents, leaving victims with serious injuries and significant financial fallout.
The attorneys at Simmrin Law Group are ready to help victims of Alhambra boating accidents get the compensation they need to recoup losses suffered from the accident. The sooner you reach out to an Alhambra boating accident lawyer from our firm, the sooner you can see financial recovery.
Common Causes of Alhambra Boating Accidents
Boats are motor vehicles. Just as there are a variety of reasons for on-the-road motor-vehicle accidents, there are a number of reasons for boating accidents. Even so, some causes are more common than others.
Like a new car driver, an inexperienced boat operator can easily make mistakes behind the wheel. Errors in judgment or failure to remember and comply with operational protocols can lead to collisions with other boats, recreational water vehicles, docks, buoys, or anything else in the vessel’s path.
Boat or Equipment Malfunctions
A faulty steering system or any other malfunctioning component of the vehicle can lead to loss of operator control and potentially deadly collisions. It is essential for boat owners and operators to inspect their vehicles before and after use and to ensure proper maintenance.
Driving While Impaired
Boating while under the influence is just as dangerous and illegal as driving under the influence. In California, boat operators with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or higher are considered legally drunk.
Speeding or Reckless Driving
High-speed boat accidents are as damaging as high-speed car accidents, only victims are harder for rescue teams to reach. Any type of reckless behavior puts others on or in the water in danger.
Rough Water or Weather
Choppy waters, wake from other boats, storms, high winds, or other dangerous weather conditions present dangers to boaters. These conditions can arise suddenly and can challenge even the most experienced operators.
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving Alhambra, call (310) 896-2723
Alhambra Boating Regulations
California law establishes specific rules for boaters. Along with state laws, counties and municipalities often have their own additional regulations. It is the responsibility of every boat operator to familiarize themselves and comply with all regulations before an outing.
In California, the following laws, among others, are in place:
- A person must be aged 16 or older and have their California Boater Card in their possession to legally operate a boat or personal watercraft (PWC) powered by a motor of 15 hp or more.
- If supervised by a person aged 18 or older who holds a California Boater Card, 12 to 15-year-olds can operate a vessel or PWC powered by a motor of 15 hp or more.
- Vessel operators must comply with California’s Harbors and Navigation Code.
- Boat owners and operators must comply with regulations adopted by the California Division of Boating and Waterways.
Alhambra Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Boating Accident Statistics
The United States Coast Guard (USCG) reported 4,439 recreational boating accidents for the most recent full year of data collection. These accidents resulted in 658 deaths and 2641 injuries. The top two causes of these accidents were operator inattention and operator inexperience.
The primary reason for deaths was alcohol use. According to USCG data, for that year, California saw 454 recreational boating accidents.
- 37 accidents involved fatalities, totaling 39 deaths
- 190 accidents caused injuries, totaling 235 injured persons
- 227 accidents caused property damage
The cost in damages for these accidents totaled $6,306,080.00
Why You Need an Experienced Alhambra Boating Accident Lawyer
If your claim is against a private boat owner and operator, it is less complicated but still challenging to gather evidence, prove negligence, navigate the legalities of personal injury law, and negotiate a substantial settlement. Insurance companies’ chief concern is keeping their money, and they will put up a fight to avoid paying compensation to even the most deserving victims.
The complications increase if your accident occurred on a charter or tour boat as determining the negligent party is a more layered process. You need a boating accident attorney in Alhambra to investigate the accident thoroughly to see where and how the failure occurred, perhaps with driver training, boat maintenance, or with safety equipment and standards, to ensure you file against the appropriate party.
If your accident occurred on a ferry or other government-owned vessel, even more complexities surface. The rules are different for cases against government entities, starting with a shorter statute of limitations. Securing representation from an experienced Alhambra boating accident attorney who can handle these specific legal intricacies with accuracy and efficiency is essential.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Possible Damages to Collect Following Boating Accident in Alhambra
Boat accident injuries range in severity, but even injuries that heal, such as broken bones, take time to mend. More serious injuries can include burns, head injuries, brain trauma, serious back damage, and other muscle, nerve, or tissue damage. Your boating accident lawyer in Alhambra will assess your situation and seek a just settlement to cover:
- Medical Care: Both current and future needs. Your Alhambra boating accident attorney will consult with medical experts to secure adequate coverage
- Lost Earnings: Including earnings missed during recovery and, should injuries prevent a return to work, lost future earnings and benefits
- Suffering: Physical pain and emotional anguish accompany injuries, subsequent limitations, and the overall trauma of an accident. This collective suffering demands acknowledgment
- Loss to Quality of Life: Long-term injuries may reduce your quality of life, preventing you from interacting with loved ones and friends, caring for your needs independently, or engaging in daily or special activities as you once did. You deserve compensation.
Depending on the specifics of your situation, your lawyer will include any additional expenses you encounter because of the accident.
Do Not Settle for Less than You Deserve
To secure a substantial settlement, you need superior legal representation. Contact Simmrin Law Group today and schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced, highly skilled Alhambra boating accident lawyer. While you focus on healing, your lawyer will handle all aspects of your case, supporting you and fighting for your interests from start to finish.