Spinal cord injuries can affect your life in more ways than one. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may require home healthcare, specialized medical equipment, and devices. You may be unable to live your life as you did before your injury.
Do you have reason to believe that someone else is or could be responsible for the injuries you sustained? If so, it is crucial to take action against them so you can recover the compensation you deserve. Discuss your legal options further when you contact a reputable Downey spinal cord injury lawyer at Simmrin Law Group to discuss the specific details of your case.
You Are Not Alone After a Spinal Cord Injury in Downey
After suffering a catastrophic injury such as spinal cord damage, it is easy to feel the weight of the world on your shoulders. However, it is important to remind yourself that you are not alone during these difficult times. An experienced spinal cord injury attorney in Downey, CA, is here to help you recuperate, get your expenses covered, and ensure those responsible for causing your injuries are brought to justice.
Although moving forward with legal action against the at-fault party may be the furthest thing from your mind, it is crucial in injury cases like yours. This is because you will likely incur hundreds of thousands of dollars or more in medical care. On top of this, you may require home health care and around-the-clock medical treatment.
Lean on your friends and family members for the emotional support you need to cope with the physical and psychological trauma of your injuries. Then, rely on your spinal cord injury lawyer at Simmrin Law Group to negotiate with the insurance company and bring your personal injury claim to trial.
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Downey, call (310) 896-2723
The Impact Your Spinal Cord Injury Will Have on Your Life
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most impactful injuries you can suffer. Unfortunately, unless you hold the liable party accountable for their negligence, you may be stuck covering the costs associated with your injuries. This does not only include your hospital bill, prescription medications, or spinal cord injury treatment.
This is in addition to the psychological distress associated with spinal cord injuries. Whether you are dealing with temporary or permanent paralysis, learning to cope with catastrophic injuries of this nature can take its toll. You may no longer be able to participate in activities you once loved, engage in relationships with family and friends, have an intimate spousal relationship with your partner, or otherwise live your life normally.
By filing a claim with the liable party’s insurance company under the California Department of Motor Vehicles automobile fault rules, or pursuing a personal injury lawsuit against those responsible for your spinal cord injuries, you can recover the compensation you are entitled to receive. There is no amount of money that will change the trauma you experienced or make up for your disabilities after the accident. However, by getting these costs covered, you can set yourself up for success in the future and start to rebuild your life after such a traumatizing event.
Downey Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Proving Spinal Cord Injury Liability and Negligence
The only way your spinal cord injury claim can be successful is if your catastrophic injury attorney proves someone else’s negligence contributed to or is responsible for causing your accident or resulting injuries. To do this, we must meet the burden of proof in civil court. For injury claims, this is based on a preponderance of the evidence.
This is different from the burden of proof in criminal court, which is beyond a reasonable doubt. Instead of proving liability beyond a reasonable doubt, your Downey spinal cord injury attorney must introduce evidence that convinces the jury and judge that the defendant is more than likely responsible for causing your injuries. Some examples of the evidence we might use to prove negligence and liability for your spinal cord injury damages include:
- Video footage of the accident
- Medical records that show the severity of your spinal cord injuries
- Photos of your injuries
- Testimony from friends and family that describe how significantly your life has been affected by your injuries
- Reports from police, crash data, accident reconstructionists, and investigators
- Copies of the defendant’s chemical blood alcohol test results, where applicable
- Statements from your healthcare providers that describe your prognosis
Proving the Elements of Negligence
Our goal will be to show the elements of negligence have been met. These include:
- Duty of care: The defendant had a responsibility to your safety.
- Breach of duty: The defendant breaches their responsibility through action or inaction.
- Causation: The defendant’s breach of the duty of care was the proximate cause of your spinal cord injuries.
- Damages: The accident you were involved in or your spinal cord injuries have had or are expected to continue to have a substantial impact on your life.
Accidents Causing Downey Spinal Cord Injuries
Numerous accidents have the potential to cause debilitating spinal cord injuries in Downey. Our personal injury lawyers have seen some accidents more often than others. The type of accident you were involved in will help us determine who is at fault for the spinal cord injuries you sustained.
Some examples of accidents we see most often and potentially liable parties could include:
- Motor vehicle accidents: These collisions, including car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents, can often include multiple parties that share fault. Some at-fault parties could include negligent drivers, government agencies, auto parts manufacturers and designers, safety inspectors, and other third parties.
- Work accidents: Whether you work in construction or have suffered a repetitive stress injury, your employer, supervisor, colleagues, equipment manufacturers, and other parties could share responsibility for your damages, depending on the type of accident.
- Premises Liabilities: If you were injured in a slip and fall, dog bite, trampoline accident, or another premises liability case, the property owner will almost certainly share some of the blame for your damages.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Meet with a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Downey, CA for Help Today
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most debilitating types of injuries you can sustain. Whether your injuries happen in a slip-and-fall accident, car crash, commercial truck wreck, or any other incident where someone else’s negligence is the cause of your damages, our legal team is here to help you get through these difficult times.
Learn more about how the spinal cord injury claims process works and how much compensation you could receive when you connect with an experienced Downey spinal cord injury lawyer at Simmrin Law Group. Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation today when you complete our convenient contact form or call our office.