When you experience injury to your spinal cord, you face extreme consequences. Adjusting to these consequences is a massive challenge, both physically and emotionally, and comes with major financial costs.
If another party is responsible for the Glendale incident causing your spinal cord injury, it is your right to pursue a settlement holding that party accountable and compensating you for your losses. Trust your personal injury case to a Glendale spinal cord injury lawyer from Simmrin Law Group. Our team has the resources, knowledge, and experience, to get you the maximum financial award possible.
Spinal Cord Injuries Explained
Spinal cord injuries bring long-term, usually permanent, changes to a victim’s life. These injuries affect people’s physical abilities, emotional state, social life, and finances. A Glendale spinal cord injury attorney can help you recover much-needed compensation if your injury was caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Mayo Clinic describes spinal cord injuries as “damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal canal.” The damage can affect vertebrae, ligaments, discs, or the spinal column itself, and typically causes permanent changes to a person’s “strength, sensation, and other body functions below the site of the injury.”
The severity of a spinal cord injury determines whether it is referred to as “complete” or “incomplete,” and injuries can cause quadriplegia or paraplegia.
- Complete: When all feeling and motor function, or movement control, below the site of the injury are lost
- Incomplete: When there is some feeling and motor function below the site of the injury. Incomplete spinal cord injuries can vary in severity.
- Quadriplegia: Arms, hands, trunk, legs, and pelvic organs are paralyzed
- Paraplegia: All or part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs are paralyzed
For a free legal consultation with a spinal cord injury lawyer serving Glendale, call (310) 896-2723
How Spinal Cord Injuries Happen
The United Spinal Association reports that spinal cord injuries affect 17,700 victims each year
Though spinal cord injuries have a major effect on a victim’s life, they are not always caused by major accidents.
- Motor vehicle accidents account for 39.3%
- Falls caused 31.8%
- Acts of violence cause 13.2%
- Sports-related activities cause 8%
- Medical treatments and surgeries (usually malpractice incidents) account for 4.3%
It is of utmost importance to get fast medical care if you have sustained an injury to your head or neck as the effects of some severe spinal cord injuries are not immediately apparent. Delayed treatment can cause your condition to worsen as the time between injury and treatment can be critical to your recovery or complications. It can also damage your potential lawsuit.
Glendale Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Effects of Spinal Cord Injuries
It is hard to overestimate the consequences of spinal cord injuries. Victims usually experience effects in all areas of their lives.
Depending on the completeness of the injury, you can be partially or fully paralyzed, losing function or feeling in different parts of the body. According to the United Spinal Association, sustaining a spinal cord injury can cause chronic pain conditions, spasticity, pressure sores, and bowel and bladder function, leading to infections, incontinence, constipation, or other conditions. Respiratory and sexual function may also be compromised.
Loss of body function and mobility seriously limits, and may destroy, your ability to work and earn income. Your care needs will also likely come with significant costs, further straining your finances.
The pain that comes with your injury can affect your emotional health, as can adjusting to your disabled condition and probable loss of independence. You may be unable to show physical affection to loved ones or interact with friends as you did prior to the injury. As a result, you may experience depression, which the United Spinal Association notes as a common secondary condition for spinal cord injury victims.
These overwhelming effects can leave you feeling hopeless and fearing for your, and your household’s, future. A compassionate Glendale spinal cord injury attorney from Simmrin Law Group can help.
How a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer in Glendale Can Help
While financial compensation cannot take away all consequences of your injuries, it can ease your financial stress, acknowledge your emotional losses, and bring a measure of justice. But navigating personal injury laws, especially when you are in such a vulnerable state, is not a simple task. This is where your spinal cord injury attorney in Glendale comes in.
Your lawyer will:
- Carefully investigate the incident causing your injuries to determine fault. The at-fault party may be a negligent driver, a property owner who did not maintain a safe environment, a sports facility, or a violent aggressor, among other possibilities
- File a personal injury claim within California’s two-year statute of limitations. If your injury was not discovered right away, you have two years from the date of its discovery
- Gather comprehensive evidence to support your claim. Evidence may come from witnesses, medical or other experts, photos, video footage, testimony from caregivers, and from the accident environment itself.
- Make a settlement demand and handle negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurance and other representatives. Insurance companies are not on your side and will use “sneaky” tactics or intimidation to avoid making a payout. Your attorney will not fall for, or stand for, these tactics.
- Fight for you in court if the at-fault party does not negotiate fairly or refuses to make an acceptable offe
Throughout your case proceedings, your attorney will communicate with you regularly with updates on its progress.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A Settlement Supports Recovery
A settlement is essential for your recovery. Your injuries may not be healed by a financial award, but a settlement gives you access to continued medical care and therapies discovered through ongoing spinal cord injury research, as well as counseling to support your emotional health.
Additionally, a settlement can recoup your lost wages and earning potential, putting you and your household back on steady financial ground. It also gives you the finances to pursue opportunities and activities more suited to your changed abilities, and to furnish your living environment with supportive technologies and structure.
Your spinal cord injury attorney in Glendale will consider all facets of your situation when making a settlement demand, to ensure the compensation you receive meets your needs.
Partner with a Glendale Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Today
The compassionate attorneys at Simmrin Law Group understand the devastation and loss you and your household experience in the wake of a spinal cord injury, and we are here to help. We will manage your case with great sensitivity while fighting boldly to hold the at-fault party accountable.
Visit our contact page to connect with a Glendale spinal cord injury attorney today. You deserve a substantial settlement to cover your losses and bring you a more hopeful future.