Downey burn victims experience one of the most painful kinds of injuries and then face an extremely difficult rehabilitation. In some cases, full recovery cannot be achieved, and victims are left with consequences, both physical and emotional, affecting their finances and overall quality of life.
When burn injuries are someone else’s fault, victims have the right to pursue compensation for the losses they have sustained from the responsible party, and a Downey personal injury lawyer from Simmrin Law Group can help. If you have suffered burn injuries because of someone else’s actions or negligence, a Downey burn injury lawyer from our team will fight to recover the losses you have sustained.
How Burn Injuries Can Happen
Burn injuries can happen anywhere there are open flames, chemicals, flammable substances, electrical currents, or hot objects and surfaces. In other words, they can occur just about anywhere and can result from:
- Motor vehicle accidents: You can suffer burns from exploding batteries or flammable gas released and ignited in the crash.
- Construction sites: Chemicals, electrical currents, and powerful electrically-powered equipment create opportunities for accidents.
- Kitchen accidents: Hot burners, scalding water, and malfunctioning appliances can pose dangers.
- Electrical malfunctions: These can happen in any workplace or home.
- Defective products or equipment: Malfunctioning products can catch your home or car on fire.
If you experience or witness a burn injury, there are immediate steps you can take, including calling 911 for emergency help.
For a free legal consultation with a burn injury lawyer serving Downey, call (310) 896-2723
The Devastating Effects of Burn Injuries
It is hard to overstate the damage burns can bring on a victim and their families. The trauma of the event and the injuries themselves reach into every aspect of life, creating a sense of overwhelming loss.
When injuries are particularly severe, affected limbs may not be able to be saved, and victims must undergo amputations. Burn injury scars can cause tightening of the skin, creating mobility issues and even rendering victims unable to move affected parts of their body at all. Serious burns can even cause organ failure.
These scars are also noticeable and disfiguring, changing the victims’ appearance in ways that often draw stares. Further, Johns Hopkins Medicine notes burn victims are more susceptible to recurrent infections as “burned skin has decreased ability to fight infection.”
The physical consequences of burns have serious implications for victims’ emotional and mental well-being. Adjusting to new limitations, dealing with pain–perhaps permanently–and coping with the “looks” of others, even those intended to convey sympathy, can wreak havoc on emotional health.
According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, burn victims can fall into states of depression or anxiety. They may also experience nightmares and flashbacks, evidence of post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), from the event causing the burn.
Financial losses serve as both a result and cause of physical and emotional consequences. Of course, burn victims have extensive medical bills for immediate care and can anticipate high future costs as well. On top of that, they are typically unable to work as they recover. If their injuries are permanently debilitating, they may be prevented from ever returning to work.
Victims and their families may face additional expenses as part of the fallout. For example, if a parent is hurt, they may need to hire childcare. If a person can no longer drive, they may have to pay for transportation. The list of potential additional expenses is long and intimidating, and the financial burdens only add to victims’ mental stress.
Downey Burn Injury Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
A Settlement Can Help You Recover
A fair settlement is critical to your ability to achieve the highest level of recovery. Speaking financially, a settlement can cover:
- Medical bills and continued care costs
- Income lost during recovery
- Lost future earnings and benefits should you be unable to work
- Other burn-related expenses
- Property damaged in the burn event, such as a vehicle in a car accident
When it comes to your emotional suffering, money cannot cure all of those hurts, but it can contribute to your recovery by providing:
- A sense of justice as the at-fault party is held accountable, and your pain and emotional suffering is acknowledged.
- Access to needed life adjustments and opportunities to maximize your recovery.
- Peace of mind from knowing you have financial access to continued medical care and that you and your household face a financially stable future.
The National Institute of Health (NIH) explains that burn injuries often lead “to long-term profound alterations that must be addressed to optimize quality of life.” For all these reasons, you deserve professional legal guidance to secure the financial relief that can make your life more comfortable after a burn injury.
How a Burn Injury Lawyer Will Fight for Fair Compensation
With the stakes so high, it is important you do not settle for less than you deserve. Sometimes, the insurance representatives for the party at fault for your burns will offer you a settlement rather quickly. Do not take that offer without first consulting with an experienced burn injury attorney in Downey.
While you may think the offer is generous, typically, insurance companies prey on victims’ vulnerability and make low offers they hope victims will accept during the fraught aftermath of the burn event. This acceptance gets the insurance company off the hook for paying the higher amount victims truly deserve. To protect yourself from this shameful practice, leave all discussions with the insurance company to your attorney.
What Your Downey Burn Injury Attorney Will Do
A skilled attorney knows how to handle burn injury cases and will manage your case with great care to secure the highest settlement possible. Your attorney will:
- Investigate your accident, leaving no details undiscovered.
- Identify the cause of the accident and the at-fault party.
- Build evidence to prove the at-fault party’s negligence.
- Value your total losses, including anticipated costs.
- Make a settlement demand and handle all follow-up negotiations with the at-fault party’s representatives.
- Represent you at trial if the at-fault party will not negotiate fairly or offer reasonable compensation.
Simmrin Law Group has connections to experts and other resources to ensure we do not miss any important elements. By trusting your case to an experienced burn injury lawyer in Downey, you put yourself in the best position to get the settlement you need and deserve.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Your Case Is Our Priority
A burn injury brings immediate pain and suffering but can also make the future seem frightening and unstable. Securing the settlement you deserve for your losses can relieve your financial worries, ensure you are compensated for your losses, and open access to the ongoing care you may need. An attentive, experienced Downey burn injury attorney can help you get that settlement.
Contact us today to speak with the team at Simmrin Law Group. We will make your case our priority, fighting to restore your financial security and sense of well-being.