Construction sites are a dangerous place to work. Every year, construction workers suffer more workplace injuries and fatalities than almost any other occupation. Often, those accidents leave the worker or their family without a source of income, or with massive medical bills. But if you have suffered from a construction accident, the law is on your side. You could recover all of the money you and your family need—and get back on your feet again. You need to talk to a Los Angeles construction accident lawyer.
Let the Simmrin Law Group help you. We will listen to you, take your side and fight to get you the money you need—every dollar. Our team of construction accident lawyers includes some of the most respected names in the state, and we charge you nothing unless we win you money. Let us give you a free consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your free consultation today.
Why do I need a construction accident attorney?
Construction accident claims involve a lot of complicated liability issues. For example:
- You may not be able to file a lawsuit. Most construction accident claims must go through worker’s compensation, and often the law will prohibit you from going to the courts.
- Worker’s compensation doesn’t always work the way it should. It’s a good system, but it is still paid out by insurers who are motivated by profit. We have seen cases where a worker was sent to a doctor they didn’t believe was really on their side, or was recommended a cheaper treatment instead of the one that they believed would do them the most good.
- You may need to involve OSHA. OSHA gives you the right to request that your workplace be inspected, or to get copies of safety reports and inspection results. But it’s not always easy to navigate the government bureaucracy surrounding this process.
- You may have to prove fault. Although worker’s compensation does not take “fault” or blame into consideration, lawsuits do—and sometimes, you can and should use a lawsuit to maximize the amount you are paid. You may need to prove that someone acted negligently or that equipment was defective. This requires hard evidence and experience negotiating.
There is no requirement that you have a lawyer to file your claim. But many injured workers choose to have a legal professional who can help maximize the amount they get.
For a free legal consultation with a Criminal Defense lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (310) 928-9347
What will happen to my job if I file a claim?
It depends on whether you plan to return to work.
If your injuries make it unlikely that you can return to construction, we can help you get substantially more money in your recovery. This money will cover both the lost work time since your accident, and also a large cash award for the loss of your future earning potential. In other words, your settlement should be big enough to make up for all the years you won’t be able to work.
If you do expect to recover and return to work, you should know that your job is protected:
- Your employer cannot fire you because of the injury
- Your employer is not allowed to “retaliate” in any way because you filed a claim
- You should be able to return to the same job (injury permitting) at the same rate of pay and continue to advance as appropriate
Remember: in a worker’s compensation claim, you don’t have to blame your employer at all. The question of “fault” should never even come up. Not only is it illegal to retaliate against workers for these claims, but employers don’t even have an incentive to do so.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
My loved one was killed in a construction accident. What do I do?
We’re sorry. This is one of the hardest possible things to go through, and we don’t believe that any financial settlement can ever make up for such a loss. Our goal when we work with clients in your situation is to help get you a fair settlement that will keep you and your family financially stable—even though things will never be the same.
When a worker has died in an accident, their loved ones have a right to file a claim on their behalf. This can include all the same compensation as any other claim (such as the cost of medical bills), but it will also cover other costs:
- Money for final expenses such as funeral costs
- Money to offset the lost income from losing a breadwinner
- Potentially an additional financial recovery for “loss of companionship,” which is the loss of a spouse
These types of cases are known as wrongful death claims and we have seen the difference they make in the family’s life.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
How much money can I recover for a construction accident claim in Los Angeles?
You are entitled to recover 100% of all your costs and losses. This includes both hard costs and also losses that cannot be easily quantified (known as “general damages”).
- Hard costs include all of your medical bills, treatment, drugs, and the cost of travel to and from appointments, as well as any rehabilitation or long-term treatment you’ll need. It also includes any lost income or earning potential.
- General damages refer to money awarded to those who have lost a limb, suffered a disability, experienced tremendous physical pain or emotional anguish, or have permanent scarring or a permanent injury. This also applies to the loss of a loved one. Money cannot truly make up for these losses, but it can help offset their impact on your life.
Because you can recover money for both kinds of losses, construction accident settlements can be very large. It’s not uncommon to see multi-million dollar settlements paid to workers and their families.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Los Angeles Construction Accident Lawyer for Free
One construction accident can have lifelong consequences. Don’t risk missing out on the money that the law says is your right. Let the Simmrin Law Group give you a FREE consultation. We will charge you nothing, ever, unless we win you money. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your FREE consultation today.