Anglers and boaters love exploring the coastal areas of southern California. Although boats can provide individuals and families with years of pleasure, they can also be extremely dangerous. Inexperienced boaters are more likely to be involved in boating accidents in California.
If you have suffered personal injuries during a boating accident, contact Simmrin Law Group to learn how you can seek financial compensation for your injuries.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents in West Covina
Boating is a fun activity that can be dangerous due to poor weather conditions, mechanical issues, and the operator’s lack of experience with boats. Therefore, it is important to be aware of the most common causes of boating accidents in southern California. The following are some of the common causes of boating accidents in West Covina:
- Dangerous Weather Conditions: The dangers of being out on the open water become apparent during sudden changes in the weather. Any person operating a boat must focus on the weather and all relevant forecasts, and ignoring coast guard warnings and forecasts can put all the passengers aboard at risk of suffering serious bodily injury or death.
- Recklessness: Passengers aboard a vessel can engage in dangerous behavior that can cause a boating accident. Individuals who engage in reckless behavior are more likely to interfere with the operator’s control of the boat.
- Inexperience: A boat operator without sufficient experience with boats may cause a boating accident. All boat operators must be prepared to deal with emergency situations.
- Driving the Boat at an Excessive Rate of Speed: Boating is a dangerous activity due to the volatile nature of water and the weather. Drivers who operate boats at excessive rates of speed are more likely to cause boating accidents.
- Boating Under the Influence: Approximately a third of all boating accidents in the State of California involve operators who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. An intoxicated boater is more likely to cause an accident that results in serious bodily injury or death.
Boating accidents can occur in a matter of seconds. An operator may not realize they are driving at an excessive rate of speed in a wake zone, and suddenly the operator strikes a buoy and causes a serious boating accident. All passengers on board a vessel should be prepared to address any dangerous or irresponsible conduct exhibited by the operator.
The types of accidents described above do not have to occur on a yacht or other large vessel. The following can be involved in boating accidents:
- Jet Ski
For a free legal consultation with a boating accidents lawyer serving West Covina, call (310) 896-2723
Common Types of Boat Accident Injuries
Boating accidents often cause serious bodily injury or death. Many boats are manufactured from fiberglass, and this material can cause tremendous damage to the human body. During most boating accidents, the operator and passengers strike the bow or stern of the boat.
The following are some of the most common injuries people suffer during boating accidents:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Puncture wounds
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Fractured bones
This is not a comprehensive list of the types of injuries victims may suffer during boating accidents. Everyone who suffers injuries during a boating accident should seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
Some injuries may not produce noticeable symptoms until weeks or months after the date of the incident. Therefore, even if you believe you did not suffer a serious injury, you should still visit a physician to determine if you suffered injuries due to the boating accident.
West Covina Boating Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
The Types of Damages Individuals Can Seek After Suffering Injuries During a Boating Accident
Damages in civil lawsuits are typically divided into two primary categories: general damages and special damages. Special damages are quantifiable. General damages are often unquantifiable. The following are the types of damages many accident victims claim in boating accident cases:
- Punitive damages if the boat operator’s conduct was wanton, willful, or malicious
- Lost earnings
- Loss of enjoyment
- Pain and suffering
- Household expenses
- Medical bills
Determining Which Parties Caused the Boating Accident
A West Covina boating accident attorney at Simmrin Law Group can help you assess which parties may be liable for your injuries. It can be difficult to determine who caused the boating accident in which you suffered injuries.
A West Covina boating accident lawyer can conduct an investigation into the accident to determine how the accident occurred. Sometimes it may be necessary to retain an accident reconstruction expert who can help determine which parties caused the boating accident.
The mechanical and maintenance history of the boats involved in the accident will be relevant to any investigation. An operator who caused the boating accident may not have maintained the boat in a consistent manner. If a mechanical failure caused your injuries, it is possible that a manufacturer or retailer may be liable for your injuries.
It can be difficult to prove that a boat operator was negligent at the time of the accident. The four general elements of negligence are duty, breach, causation, and damages. The causation element is typically divided into legal and proximate causes.
It is, therefore, necessary for a boating accident lawyer to prove that the operator who caused the accident breached the standard of care and thereby caused your injuries. Also, a boating accident lawyer may be able to assess the facts related to your accident to determine if there is a product liability component to your case. Expert witnesses and other individuals may be necessary to determine the multiple causes of the boating accident that caused you to suffer serious personal injuries.
Unfortunately, you may have lost a loved one during a boating accident. If this is the case, an experienced boating accident lawyer can inform you about the details regarding wrongful death cases and how they differ from general personal injury cases.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Contact a Boating Accident Lawyer in West Covina Today
Contact Simmrin Law Group today to learn how an experienced boating accident lawyer can help you pursue financial compensation for your injuries. Boating accidents can be traumatic, and sometimes accident victims may feel frightened or anxious. Do not hesitate to reach out to a skilled boating accident attorney in West Covina today.