White collar crimes are often prosecuted very harshly in Escondido. A conviction for embezzlement or fraud can result in incredibly high fines and even a sentence of time behind bars. That’s why it’s important to get professional legal help as soon as you are arrested.
The Simmrin Law Group can help you build a defense to the charges you are facing. You can speak with our white-collar crime lawyers in Escondido today. Let us work to help you with:
- Interviews with police officers
- Bail hearings before your trial
- Plea bargains offered by prosecutors
- Getting your charges reduced or dismissed
- Constructing a courtroom ready defense
White-Collar Crimes in Escondido: Fraud
You may be familiar with the act of fraud. Generally, the courts define fraud as taking an item of value from someone else through the use of deceit or trickery. Fraud does not typically involve acts of violence. However, this charge can still be prosecuted very harshly.
The court system in Escondido uses a number of different charges to prosecute fraud. Depending upon your situation, you could be charged with:
- Auto insurance fraud
- Health care fraud
- Medi-Cal fraud
- Unemployment insurance fraud
- Workers Comp fraud
- Mortgage fraud
Many different individuals can be charged with fraud. Sometimes, people are charged with fraud if they lie to their insurance companies. In other situations, businesses like doctors’ offices or auto repair shops may be charged with fraud for:
- Claiming they performed services they did not
- Up-charging services they actually performed
- Double-billing for services they carried out
- Performing services that aren’t necessary.
White-Collar Crimes in Escondido: Embezzlement
Embezzlement is another common white-collar crime charge in Escondido. You could be charged with embezzlement if you are accused of:
- Taking money or property entrusted to you by someone else AND
- Fraudulently transferring it to yourself in order to
- Use it for your own benefit and prevent the rightful owner from using it.
Individuals in professional settings may commit embezzlement if they move money from one account to another without the permission of the account holders. However, even something as simple as taking money out of a cash register when working as a cashier could be considered embezzlement.
White-Collar Crimes in Escondido: Probation Violations
You could also be charged with a white-collar crime in Escondido if you violate the terms of your probation. Probation is sometimes offered by the court system instead of a jail or prison sentence. You are allowed to remain relatively free if you are released on probation, as long as you adhere to certain regulations set forth by the court system.
Individuals in Escondido commonly violate their probation if they:
- Drive after their license is suspended
- Do not attend or complete court ordered programs
- Break other laws while on probation
- Consume alcohol or drugs
- Miss meetings with their probation officer
- Do not submit required documents in a timely fashion
A probation violation can result in serious legal consequences. Make sure you reach out to a criminal defense lawyer in Escondido if you are accused of violating your probation. We may be able to help you resolve these charges in your favor.
White-Collar Crimes in Escondido: Penalties
Many people do not realize that white-collar crime convictions can result in very severe penalties. Even though white-collar crimes do not result in physical harm, individuals who are convicted could expect to face:
- Fines of up to $150,000
- Fines of up to twice the value of an act of fraud
- Jail time of up to five years
Individuals who are convicted of fraud or embezzlement may also be ordered to repay the money they took.
White-Collar Crimes in Escondido: Defenses
As you can see, the results of a white-collar crime conviction in Escondido can be incredibly harsh. Fortunately, you can work with a white-collar crime lawyer to get help building a strong defense. Your lawyer may be able to show that:
- You did not intend to commit a white-collar crime
- You did not realize you were committing fraud or embezzlement
- The prosecution does not have enough evidence to convict you.
The team at the Simmrin Law Group knows what it takes to help clients in your situation. Let us begin working on your case now.
Contact an Escondido White-Collar Crime Lawyer Today
You can reach out to the Simmrin Law Group right now if you are accused of a white-collar crime in Escondido. Our team of legal professionals can start developing your defense today with a FREE initial case evaluation.
Get advice from our white-collar crime lawyers in Escondido by calling (310) 997-4688 or completing our online contact form.