If you were injured in any kind of bicycle accident, you have legal rights—and you may be able to recover ALL of the money you need for medical bills, missed work time, and your long-term recovery. In many cases, you could win your settlement even if you were not wearing a helmet or using lights. Never take the insurance company’s first answer at face value—and never let yourself be talked out of your recovery. You need to speak to a Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer.
The Simmrin Law Group believes in the rights of bicyclists, and we know the roads aren’t always safe. Let us put our experienced legal team to work for you. We will give you a FREE consultation and help you get started on your case—with no charge unless we win you money. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your free consultation today.
What kind of bicycle accidents and injuries count as valid claims?
Any time you were injured and it was not your fault, there’s a good chance you have a valid claim—no matter how the injury happened.
We take on cases including:
- Injuries caused by cars and other vehicles
- Motorcycle-on-bicycle accidents
- Truck-on-bicycle accidents
- Injuries caused by bad road conditions such as potholes, grates and sewer covers, bad pavement and badly timed lights
- Injuries caused by a defective bicycle of faulty bike gear
- Traumatic brain injury cases
- Death of a cyclist
- Cyclist harassment cases
No matter how your accident happened or who was involved, if you do not believe you are at fault, you may have a case.
What are my rights as an injured cyclist in Los Angeles?
Cyclists have the same rights as anyone else on the road, pathways or sidewalk. Personal injury law in California is based on fault: the person who causes an accident or injury is the one responsible for the costs. Unfortunately, fault isn’t always obvious. Sometimes, a driver (or even a pedestrian) can be at fault even if they did not explicitly break any traffic laws. If they did anything negligent or careless, they are at fault.
- You can win your case even if the driver was not ticketed
- You can win your case even if the driver blames you
- You can win your case even if the insurance company initially refuses your claim
Don’t second guess yourself after an accident—and never blame yourself. A good bicycle accident lawyer will put their own investigator on the case to prove exactly what happened.
What if I wasn’t wearing a helmet/using lights?
Do not allow the insurance company to blame you. You CAN win your accident claim even if you weren’t wearing a helmet or using lights. Safety gear does help save lives, but not wearing it does NOT make the injury your fault.
Los Angeles has complicated laws around bicycle safety. In general:
- Adults are free to cycle with or without helmets (children must wear them)
- Bicycles need reflectors and lights if riding after dark
- Cyclists are supposed to bike legally, on streets, bike lanes or approved sidewalks/pathways
If you break these rules, you may get a ticket—but it doesn’t mean you are at fault for the accident. It depends on two things:
- Would the safety gear have PREVENTED the accident from happening?
- Would your injuries be LESS severe if you had the safety gear?
The answers depend on what happened. Your lawyer can look at the specifics of your accident and help you get a clear answer. In many cases, you still have a valid claim.
What if I was hit by an aggressive or threatening driver?
Los Angeles has the toughest laws in the country against harassing cyclists. The city’s Cyclist Anti-Harassment Ordinance offers strict penalties for anyone who:
- Intentionally forces a bicycle off the street
- Threatens a cyclist
- Distracts a cyclist
- Physically injures a cyclist (with their vehicle or otherwise)
If any of these factors apply to your case, you can sue for THREE TIMES the full cost of your damages. This money is meant to both punish the person who threatened or injured you, and to help you put your life back together. It also serves to deter unsafe behavior around cyclists.
How much money can I win for a bicycle accident claim in Los Angeles?
In most accidents, the damages include property damage and injuries. You have a right to recover 100% of your costs for:
- Your medical bills and medication
- Physical therapy or any other rehabilitation
- Missed wages if you were unable to work
- The cost of your bicycle or damaged equipment
- The full long-term cost of your injury in the future
You may also be granted extra damages based on what happened. This is common if you have a severe injury or a disability caused by the accident. We have experience with six-figure and seven-figure cases. Some bicycle accidents win settlements of $1,000,000 or more.
Obviously, insurance companies are not quick to pay out this money on their own. They may attempt to deny or delay your claim, offer you less than you really need, or even blame you for an accident you didn’t cause. If you were injured, do not face the insurance company alone. You need to talk to a lawyer.
Talk to a Los Angeles Bike Accident Lawyer for Free
Bicyclists have rights, but the law won’t always enforce them without legal help. Put a tough legal professional on your side. The attorneys of the Simmrin Law Group will give you a FREE consultation—and we charge you NOTHING if we don’t win you money. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your free consultation today.