You don’t have to try to take on a weapons charge in Oceanside, CA on your own. You can get professional help dealing with these charges right away by contacting the team at the Simmrin Law Group.
Our team of weapons charges lawyers in Oceanside are standing by to assist you with all aspects of your criminal case. We understand what it takes to help you with:
- Interviews with police officers and prosecutors
- Your bail hearing
- Plea bargains offered by prosecutors
- Building a strong defense for the courtroom.
Go Over Different Types of Weapons in Oceanside, CA
The state of California uses harsh regulations to control the usage of dangerous weapons. You should be aware that any item that can cause a severe injury could be considered a dangerous weapon in Oceanside. This includes:
- All firearms, including rifles, shotguns, pistols, and revolvers
- Baseball bats and other club weapons
- Knives and other bladed weapons
- Improvised weapons like broken bottles
- Incendiary devices such as Molotov cocktails
- Power tools like chainsaws or electric drills
- Some animals, including attack dogs.
Possessing some of these weapons – including firearms – is enough to lead to criminal charges. In other cases, you may only be charged with a crime if you threaten someone else with these weapons or utilize them in a way that is reckless. A criminal defense lawyer in Oceanside can help you handle any weapons charge you are facing.
Criminal Charges for Carrying a Weapon in Public
You could face criminal charges if you are accused of:
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Carrying a loaded firearm
- Carrying an unloaded firearm.
These charges can apply any time you are found carrying a weapon in public. Note that you may be exempted from these regulations if you:
- Have a concealed carry permit (CCP)
- Are a member of a gun club
- Are a member of the police department or the military
- Are working in a security focused career.
A conviction for carrying a concealed weapon or a firearm while in public can result in:
- Incarceration of up to three years
- Fines of up to $10,000.
You can be convicted for carrying a weapon in public, even if you do not threaten anyone. Merely having a dangerous weapon on your person or in your vehicle while you are in public can result in a conviction in Oceanside.
Charges for Using a Weapon in Oceanside
The court system in Oceanside also restricts the usage of weapons. You can face criminal charges for:
- Negligent Discharge. Negligent discharge occurs if you fire a gun without regard for the health and safety of others. Intentionally firing a gun at someone else is not considered negligent discharge.
- Brandishing a Weapon. You can be charged with brandishing a weapon if you draw or take out a weapon in a way that is threatening or angry.
Both negligent discharge and brandishing a weapon can be penalized very harshly in Oceanside. As with the charges for carrying a weapon in public, you could face up to three years of time in prison and fines of up to $10,000 if you are convicted on these charges.
Other Weapons Charges Used in Oceanside
We have addressed some of the most common weapons charges in Oceanside. There are many other laws on the books to regulate the usage of weapons in California. The court can also prosecute you:
For the Unlicensed Sale of Firearms
You must have a license to sell, lease, or otherwise transfer the ownership of a firearm in Oceanside. You can face fines of $1,000 and jail time of up to six months for each firearm that you sell without a license in our area.
Under the Felon with a Firearm Law
You could face criminal charges just for having a firearm in your possession if your gun rights were revoked in California. The state can revoke your gun rights if you are convicted of a felony or some misdemeanors. Individuals addicted to some controlled substances and people with mental illnesses may also have their gun rights revoked. A conviction could lead to fines of up to $10,000 and up to three years of incarceration.
Contact an Oceanside Weapons Charges Lawyer Immediately
Take steps to defend yourself from a weapons charges in Oceanside by reaching out to the Simmrin Law Group as soon as you are arrested. We can begin working on building your defense immediately after you contact us. Just call (310) 997-4688 or complete our online contact form to get started.
You can speak with our weapons charges lawyers in Oceanside to get a FREE case evaluation.