If you have recently been arrested and charged with a weapons-related offense, the penalties you could be facing are severe. If you hope to avoid the harsh implications of a conviction, you need an aggressive Ontario weapons charges lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group to advocate for your liberties.
Learn more about which defenses may be best suited for your case when you contact our office for a confidential consultation.
Examples of Weapons Charges You Could Be Facing
There are a wide array of consequences you could face if you have been arrested in the state of California. Your weapons charges lawyer in Ontario, CA will need to carefully evaluate the weapons charges against you to understand the potential penalties you could be facing. Some of the more common types of weapons charges you could be facing include:
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Drive-by shootings
- Illegal sale of a weapon
- Felon in possession of a firearm
- Fire in an object into an occupied building
- Brandishing a weapon
- Improper handling of a firearm
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Carrying a loaded firearm in public
- The possession or manufacture of a destructive device
Most weapons charges are considered wobbler offenses. This means you could be charged at the misdemeanor or felony level, depending on the circumstances of your case. There may also be sentencing enhancements that you need to be aware of if you are found guilty.
The best way to avoid the harsh implications of a criminal conviction is by contacting an Ontario weapons charges attorney at the Simmrin Law Group to discuss how to best approach your defense strategy.
For a free legal consultation with a weapon charges lawyer serving Ontario, call (310) 896-2723
Penalties of a Criminal Conviction for Weapons Charges
The consequences of a weapons charge conviction can vary depending on the type of criminal charge you are facing. For instance, if you are convicted of a misdemeanor-level weapons offense, you can spend up to one year in county jail and be ordered to pay fines as high as $1,000. However, if you are convicted of a felony-level weapons offense, you might spend as much as 20 years in a California state prison and be ordered to pay tens of thousands of dollars in fines.
There are also a wide variety of collateral consequences you could be facing. Weapons charges convictions will impact virtually every aspect of your life. Some of the fallout you should prepare for include:
- Loss of firearm rights
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license
- Suspension or revocation of your professional licenses
- Issues with citizenship or immigration, including the risk of deportation
- Completion of community service hours
- Court-ordered mental health counseling
- Regular meetings with a probation or parole officer
- Court-ordered anger management
- Court-ordered group therapy
- Completion of a court-ordered driver retraining program
Ontario Weapon Charges Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Your weapons charges attorney in Ontario, CA will need to carefully evaluate the evidence that has been obtained against you to determine which defenses are best suited for you.
In some circumstances, working with the state’s prosecuting attorney to obtain a plea agreement or pretrial diversion program may be in your best interests. However, at other times, presenting a compelling defense strategy is more appropriate. Your attorney can advise you on multiple options for your case.
Pretrial Diversion and Plea Agreements
Pretrial diversion programs are generally only available to individuals who are charged with non-violent offenses. They are also typically only available for first-time offenders.
However, if you qualify and you complete the terms as outlined in the program, the weapon charges against you could be reduced or dismissed altogether. Our weapons charges attorneys will be ready to negotiate with the state’s prosecutor if doing so gives us an opportunity to avoid bringing your case to trial.
Defending Yourself at Trial
In some instances, those charged with weapons offenses may not be eligible for a pretrial diversion program or plea agreement. If this happens, it is essential that you present a powerful defense strategy at trial. Some potential defenses our weapons charges lawyers may use to help secure an acquittal in your case include:
- You had a weapon in your possession, but you did not own the weapon, and you did not know you were in possession of it
- You brandished the weapon in self-defense or defense of others
- The prosecutor handling your case is attempting to influence the jury
- You accidentally discharged a firearm with no criminal intent
- You are a victim of police misconduct or entrapment
These are just a few of the potential defenses that could be used to clear your name of the allegations against you. After reviewing the details of your case, we will have a better idea as to what we should expect from your weapons charges.
Click to contact our Ontario Criminal Defense Lawyers today
How a Weapons Charge Lawyer in Ontario Can Help You
Although you have the right to work with a public defender, doing so could be disastrous for your case. Unfortunately, despite the fact that public defenders may be skilled attorneys, they are overworked and unable to give your case the individualized attention to detail you deserve. When you choose the Simmrin Law Group to handle your case, you can rely on us to:
- Protect your rights at trial
- Offer legal advice and support when you are interviewed by law enforcement
- File necessary motions that can get evidence tossed out
- Work with the prosecutor to get the charges against you reduced or dismissed altogether
- Conduct an in-depth investigation and gather our own evidence to support your face
- Prepare to present your defense strategy before a judge and jury
- Be unafraid to question police, prosecutors, and other law enforcement officials regarding misconduct
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Reach Out to an Ontario Weapons Charges Attorney for Help Today
Weapons offenses are some of the most serious types of criminal charges you can face in the state of California. It is imperative that you have a skilled Ontario weapons charges lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group working on your case so you can do everything possible to avoid a guilty verdict.
Learn more about which approach is best suited for your case when you contact our team for a confidential case evaluation. You can reach us through our secured contact form or by phone to get started on your defense strategy as soon as today.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form