You can get help right away if you are accused of counterfeiting in Torrance, CA. You could be charged with counterfeiting in the state or the federal court system. Convictions for counterfeiting — or creating fraudulent copies of an item — can lead to serious consequences, including fines and incarceration.
Start building a defense against counterfeiting charges by contacting the Simmrin Law Group right away after an arrest. Our counterfeiting lawyers in Torrance are ready to begin investigating your charges now. Let us work to:
- Get your charges reduced
- Get your charges dismissed
- Secure a verdict in your favor in court
Defining the Act of Counterfeiting in Torrance
Let’s go over the basic definition of counterfeiting before we move forward. According to the court system in California, counterfeiting occurs if someone:
- Replicates an original item and
- Tries to pass off the fake version as a legitimate product
Many people think of creating false currency when they consider counterfeiting. However, you can face counterfeiting charges for duplicating most items, including handbags or clothes, if you try to pass them off as original products.
A criminal defense lawyer in Torrance can help you if you are accused of counterfeiting products, legal documents, money, and more.
Counterfeiting Charges in California’s State Court System
As we mentioned, some acts of counterfeiting are prosecuted in the state court system. Generally, you will be charged under California Penal Code Section 470 (Forgery) if you are accused of counterfeiting in the state court.
PC 470 charges can apply if you attempt to counterfeit many items, including:
- Checks, cashier’s checks, and traveler’s checks
- Bonds, bank bills, notes, post notes, and money orders
- Receipts for money or goods, bills of exchange, and promissory notes
- Lottery tickets or trading stamps
Note that these are only examples of items that can be counterfeited in Torrance. You could face misdemeanor or felony charges if you are accused of counterfeiting in the state court system. A conviction could lead to:
- Fines of up to $1,000 for a misdemeanor
- Fines of up to $10,000 for a felony
- Incarceration of up to one year for a misdemeanor
- Incarceration of up to three years for a felony
You can ensure you take these charges seriously by reaching out to the professionals at the Simmrin Law Group as soon as you are arrested.
Torrance Counterfeiting Charges in Federal Court
Counterfeiting may sometimes be prosecuted in the federal court system. Federal prosecutors may step in if you are accused of counterfeiting:
- Postage stamps, currency, or securities
- Ship’s papers
- Government documents
- Legal documents
- Military documents
You could also face federal charges if you are found with the tools used to counterfeit different items. Additionally, you can be charged with a serious crime if you:
- Buy, sell, or trade counterfeit material
- Transfer or deliver counterfeit material
The federal court system generally punishes counterfeiting convictions harshly. Depending upon your situation, you could be incarcerated for up to 25 years if you are convicted. You could also be fined up to $250,000 for a federal counterfeiting conviction.
A federal crimes lawyer in Torrance can help you take on all charges associated with counterfeiting. Improve your odds of successfully resolving these charges by contacting the team at the Simmrin Law Group now.
Build Your Defense to Counterfeiting Charges in Torrance
As you can see, the results of a counterfeiting conviction in Torrance can be very harsh. That’s why it’s important that you get professional help on your side quickly. A professional criminal defense lawyer can work to:
- Help you during legal interviews with prosecutors
- Stand up for you during your bail hearing
- Monitor police officers investigating your case
- Work to block evidence against you
- Review any plea bargains you are offered
- Complete a comprehensive investigation of your case
Our team of professional counterfeiting lawyers can develop a specialized defense to meet your needs. We may be able to show that:
- You did not know you were in possession of counterfeit objects
- You did not intend to counterfeit anything
You can also turn to us if your rights were violated by law enforcement officers or prosecutors. Sometimes these individuals perform illegal searches or engage in other forms of misconduct. Let us stand up for you immediately.
Contact a Torrance Counterfeiting Lawyer Right Now
Focus on building a strong defense to counterfeiting charges in Torrance by speaking with the Simmrin Law Group. We are ready to begin focusing on your unique legal needs. You can count on our counterfeiting lawyers in Torrance to help you handle state or federal charges.
Call us at (310) 997-4688 or complete our online contact form to get a FREE consultation about your legal options.