DUI charges are serious and come with steep penalties and long-term consequences that impact your livelihood and future. You can lose your license, be required to attend DUI school, and have fines and imprisonment. You must have stellar legal representation to avoid these and other consequences of a DUI charge.
The Simmrin Law Group is here to help people facing DUI charges in Walnut Park and the surrounding areas. You need a DUI attorney in Walnut Park, CA, that will guide you through the legal complexities, build a strong defense and negotiate with the prosecution for your benefit.
Potential Consequences of a DUI
DUIs have many consequences, but the financial element is often the most distressing for those charged with these crimes. The more offenses you have, the higher your costs. Since it is a criminal charge, the fees for a first-time offense can be in the tens of thousands.
The local government has much to gain financially, so they will fight for these charges to stick. They also implement additional sobriety roadblocks to ensure they can bring in more income. Penalties for a DUI conviction include:
- Fines and fees: You will face minimum fines of a few hundred dollars, but the court will also add administrative fees. You can also pay costs to get your vehicle out of the impound lot or to reinstate your license.
- Jail time: You can be arrested and spend time in jail, which can be anywhere from two days to six months. For repeat offenders, sentences are usually longer.
- Loss of license: All DUIs arrests result in license suspension for 30a days. DUI convictions mean your license is suspended for a few months to a year. You cannot drive your or anyone else’s vehicle and must find alternative transportation for work and demands.
- DUI school: The court can mandate that you attend DUI school, which can last three months or more. You will need to pay for attending these classes, which cost upwards of $500.
- Probation: You can sometimes be put on probation for anywhere from three to five years. You may also have to install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle at your own expense.
These consequences are for a first-time offense. If you have any subsequent offenses, you will face more jail time, state prison, longer license suspension, addiction treatment, and a felony record. You are a repeat offender if you get a second DUI within ten years of the first one.
Additionally, you will have a criminal record that employers can access during pre-employment background checks, and your insurance rates will increase. You should work to avoid these consequences by speaking to a DUI lawyer in Walnut Park, CA, to secure your freedom and future.
For a free legal consultation with a dui lawyer serving Walnut Park, call (310) 896-2723
Legal Deadlines for DUI Cases
DUI cases in Walnut Park have three deadlines you should be aware of because they can impact the rest of your life. After your arrest, you will be sent to Baldwin park Division or the LA County Sheriff for processing. You must speak to our DUI lawyers immediately because the clock starts ticking the moment you are placed under arrest.
Here are the three deadlines or processes you must be aware of:
- DMV hearing: If you do not request a DMV hearing in Walnut within ten days of your arrest, you will face an administrative suspension. Your DUI attorneys can file this request on your behalf and keep you driving until trial.
- Arraignment: You must go before a judge and plead guilty, not guilty, or no contest. An arrangement happens less than 14 days after your arrest.
- Trial: After your arraignment, you will be scheduled for a trial date, typically within 30 days of your arrest. You need the assistance of our DUI attorneys to make the most of this small timeframe.
You must have legal help to ensure you do not miss any deadlines and have a solid defense. Missing a deadline or insufficient evidence can result in incarceration and other consequences.
Walnut Park DUI Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Beating a DUI in Walnut Park
Beating a DUI charge in Walnut Park is easier when you have a DUI lawyer fighting for you. These are not traffic violations that will go away. A DUI conviction will follow you for years.
The Simmrin Law Group is dedicated to building a defense strategy that could dismiss or lower your charges. Our qualified Walnut Park DUI attorneys will use techniques such as:
- Fighting rights violations: Police frequently intimidate and harass motorists. There are many errors they can commit when issuing a DUI, and you need a lawyer to look for them.
- Spotting errors in police testimony: Police will file reports about the arrest, but when they get on the stand to testify, what they say may differ from what they wrote. It is our job to find these inaccuracies and use them to your advantage.
- Disputing the accuracy of chemical tests: The police and prosecution rely heavily on chemical tests, which can malfunction and must be regularly calibrated. They can be wrong if this maintenance is not performed or the device has a history of inaccurate readings, and blood tests can be challenged if the sample is not handled or stored correctly.
- Negotiating a deal: Prosecuting attorneys will offer you deals that benefit them, especially early on. We will continue to push against their evidence and diminish their case until we have a reasonable agreement.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
Speak to the Simmrin Law Group Today
Being arrested for DUI is not the end of the world, but it can mean the end of your freedom and rights if you do not get help to avoid a conviction. You need assistance from someone who knows the system and how to use the law to your advantage.
The Simmrin Law Group stands ready to fight these charges and help you get your life back with a Walnut Park DUI lawyer at your side. Contact us to schedule your free consultation today.