In California, violent crimes have some of the harshest punishments. Those who commit violent crimes inflict terrible harm on their victims, and in some instances, they kill innocent people. If you are facing a charge of any violent crime, you will potentially serve long sentences and pay hefty fines.
While it may seem that you cannot fight the allegations against you, there is hope. Contact a Chino violent crimes lawyer from Simmrin Law Group to learn how to create a defense strategy that works for you.
Types of Violent Crimes
A violent crimes attorney can use their knowledge of the law to evaluate your case. Not all violent crimes have the same elements. The most common kinds of violent crimes include:
- Kidnapping: The action of taking someone and holding them against their will. Several other violent crimes can happen during a kidnapping, including rape and homicide.
- Homicide: The mental state of the offender at the time of the homicide matters. If it is proven that the offender intentionally murdered someone, they can be charged with manslaughter.
- Assault: The crime of physically attacking another person. Even though weapons are not always used, the presence of a weapon can turn a simple assault charge into aggravated assault.
- Sexual assault: Performing a sexual act against someone without their consent. Some examples of sexual assault include rape, sexual harassment, and sexual abuse.
- Robbery: The act of stealing someone’s possessions through force. A person commits robbery when they have used or threatened harm to take someone else’s belongings without their permission.
For a free legal consultation with a violent crimes lawyer serving Chino, call (310) 896-2723
Felonies for Violent Crimes in Chino, CA
Most violent crimes are categorized as felonies. Felonies are severe crimes that often have you facing imprisonment for more than one year and paying very high fines. Even if your violent crime is originally charged as a misdemeanor, it can be upgraded to a felony if there are aggravating circumstances.
These factors can include the following:
- Whether the victim was a minor
- The amount of harm that the victim experienced
- Whether or not you exhibit remorse
- Your past criminal history
- The presence of a weapon
- The location of the crime
With a combination of these factors, your punishment becomes more serious. It will be critical for your Chino violent crimes attorney to examine all the evidence and work to have your charges reduced in whatever way possible.
Chino Violent Crimes Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Why You Need Legal Representation from a Violent Crimes Lawyer in Chino, CA
Facing a violent crime charge is overwhelming. Your offenses can be increased in their seriousness, and additional charges added. The prosecutor can pressure you into accepting a plea bargain that works against you.
It can seem as if you have no option but to plead guilty even if you are innocent. The best way to fight unfair charges and potential punishments is to work with a Simmrin violent crimes lawyer in Chino, CA. Our team is highly skilled in criminal law and defending our clients when they are being mistreated by the justice system.
Your attorney can guide you throughout the legal process and work endlessly to achieve the results you want from your case.
Casting Doubt on the State’s Findings
Your violent crimes attorney can evaluate your case and determine the best way to have your charges reduced or dismissed altogether. When you have been accused of a violent crime, the prosecution represents the state of California and is responsible for proving your guilt.
Violent crime lawyers are skilled in finding flaws within the state’s arguments. They can question the state’s evidence and the facts they have presented to cast doubt on the jurors. Your attorney will work prior to the trial to have some evidence thrown out, especially if it was obtained under questionable circumstances.
If the state cannot prove your guilt “beyond a reasonable doubt,” there is a chance that your charge will either be reduced or dismissed.
Protecting Your Constitutional Rights
Your violent crimes lawyer can also protect your constitutional rights while fighting for your freedom. Police officers cannot violate your constitutional rights. They must collect evidence using the proper procedures; otherwise, that evidence will not be used in court.
The proper procedures include the following:
- Obtain a search warrant before seizing your belongings.
- Inform you of your Miranda rights.
- Refrain from arresting you unless there is probable cause.
If these rights are violated, it can affect the nature of your case. The police officer’s testimony and evidence can be deemed inadmissible in court. Your violent crimes attorney in Chino can use constitutional violations to your advantage.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers in Baldwin Park, CA today
Common Defenses Against Violent Crimes
Constitutional violations are not the only defenses that your violent crimes attorney can use.
Other defenses that may be used to argue your innocence include the defense of others, involuntary intoxication, duress, and entrapment.
- Defense of others: You were protecting another person when you committed the crime. This could be used for charges of assault or homicide.
- Involuntary intoxication: You were intoxicated against your will when you committed the crime. This defense could be used to question the intent of your crime.
- Duress: You were being threatened by someone when you committed the crime. This defense argues that you were forced to commit a violent crime.
- Entrapment: You are a victim of a law enforcement official’s abuse of authority and were forced to commit a crime. You must prove that you would not have committed the crime without undue influence.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Chino Violent Crimes Attorney Today
If you or someone you know has been charged with a violent crime, you must get professional legal help immediately to defend yourself. California vigorously prosecutes crimes such as robbery, murder, and assault, and you should not attempt to represent yourself against experienced state attorneys.
Protect your rights and your freedom by speaking to a Chino violence crimes lawyer from the Simmrin Law Group. We will listen to your story in a free initial consultation and begin planning your defense strategy for the best possible outcome for your circumstances.
Call us today, or complete our contact form to schedule an appointment.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form