Los Angeles is the second most populated city in the United States, with millions of residents and numerous businesses nearby. While this offers a life of abundance, it also creates many dangerous opportunities for people to be injured on unkempt properties.
When a slip and fall occurs, the property owner’s insurance company may be responsible for covering any damages. Despite their responsibility, insurance companies often put up a good fight to avoid having to pay out a large sum of money.
Working with our experienced premises liability legal team at the Simmrin Law Group will help maximize the chances of winning the fight against insurance companies. Contact a knowledgeable and dedicated Los Angeles LAX slip and fall lawyer for a free consultation today to find out what is next for your case.
Common Los Angeles Slip And Fall Hazards
Personal injuries often result from slip and fall accidents, making them one of the most common injuries. These injuries can occur at any time, anywhere, and to anyone and can cause major physical, emotional, and financial damage to the injured person. When faced with an injury from a slip and fall, it can feel overwhelming to navigate the confusing process of pursuing financial compensation on your own.
Local governments, landlords, and grocery chain operators owe shoppers, visitors, and tenants a “ duty of care.” The legal responsibility falls on operators and owners to provide a standard of safety in a restaurant, public building, store, or park. In addition, employers have a responsibility to keep their employees safe in the workplace.
When a property owner neglects to clean up an obstacle or repair a hazard in a reasonably given time, they may be held entirely responsible when someone gets hurt. It does not matter if the hazard was created by the property owner or the person who sustained the injury. Liable owners must fix these dangers before anyone has the chance to be injured.
Common Slip and Fall Hazards
These hazards can be found throughout Los Angeles during a busy day or night out. Some of the potential situations that might leave someone hurt include:
- Spills and Puddles- One of the more common hazards in Los Angeles occurs in public bathrooms and public buildings, where customers may drop ice and drinks, or restaurant freezer units may leak, causing puddles. When this occurs, the hazards must be marked using signs, and the puddles must be promptly mopped before any visitors have the chance to slip and fall.
- Hazardous Floors- Cluttered displays, floor mats, exposed wiring, and carpet damage could catch a foot, sending the victim down to the ground for a blow to the head or a hard fall on a knee. Boxes or loose inventory that goes unseen can cause someone to trip.
- Sidewalk Hazards- Tree root damage and broken pavement can be difficult obstacles for pedestrians walking through Los Angeles. Your lawyer can help to prove that the city knew a particular spot on the sidewalk was terrible and went unfixed before you were hurt.
- Parking Lot Hazards- The duty of care applies to parking lots for city government facilities, businesses, and gas station pump areas. Unsafe sidewalks, cars that leak motor oil, and cracked asphalt can create dangerous opportunities for a slip and fall injury.
For a free legal consultation with a lax slip and fall accidents lawyer serving Los Angeles, call (310) 896-2723
Slip and Fall Victim Compensation in Los Angeles
Holding an insurance company responsible for the physical, emotional, and financial damages you faced due to someone else’s negligence is absolutely necessary. It is important to understand the average slip-and-fall accident settlement can vary. Your LAX slip and fall attorney in Los Angeles, CA at the Simmrin Law Group will prove economic damages and non-economic damages on your behalf so you can receive the compensation you deserve:
Financial damages are easier to show as receipts and medical records can be used as proof when seeking compensation. Some examples include:
- Lost wages and income, including bonuses
- Assistive medical devices
- Doctor visits and medical bills
- Hospital stays
- Prescription medication
- In-home nursing care
- Property damage repair or replacement
- Additional out-of-pocket expenses related to the injury
Non-financial losses are more difficult to prove and place value because they are less tangible. Nonetheless, non-economic damages are crucial in a personal injury case. Some examples of non-economic damages include:
- Mental and emotional suffering or distress
- Physical disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical impairment
- Loss of consortium
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Los Angeles LAX Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Common Injuries from Falls in Los Angeles
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, hospital emergency rooms see over 8 million fall-related injuries and 1 million slip and fall injuries annually. And 85% of claims for Worker’s Compensation are due to employees who have slipped on slick floors.
Injuries caused by slip and fall accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries involve a severe blow to the body or head, resulting in injuries to the brain.
- Spinal and back injuries may result in the permanent loss of one’s mobility, causing lifelong pain.
- Broken bones and dislocations or other severe outcomes fall victims may face. Older victims often suffer hip fractures.
- Elbow, wrist, or complete arm injuries can occur when victims try to catch themselves before hitting the hard floor.
- Broken facial bones can occur when victims do not catch themselves and their face takes the first impact.
- Dental injuries can occur when the mouth takes a direct hit. These types of injuries may lead to permanent disfigurement and facial scarring.
- Patellar sprains (knee damage) are common when a victim trips and hits a hard surface like concrete.
Hire a Dedicated LAX Slip and Fall Lawyer in Los Angeles, CA for Help Today
Unfortunately, when a victim has suffered from a slip and fall accident, corporate lawyers and insurance companies representing property owners and big store chains will try to use your own statements against you to limit their liability in an accident. Insurance companies often instruct their adjusters to delay processing your claim, hoping to make you more vulnerable and more likely to accept a much lower settlement offer. They will try to pin the blame on you, stating the accident was your fault and releasing their clients of any responsibility.
A skilled Los Angeles LAX slip and fall attorney with the Simmrin Law Group knows how to handle these tactics and can represent you as you work together to maximize the financial compensation for your injuries. Contact us by phone or reach out to us by filling out our online contact form or calling us to schedule your free consultation today.