Slipping and falling sounds like a minor accident, but as anyone who has fallen knows, it can have long-lasting consequences. Many falls result in broken bones, soft tissue damage, head injuries or even more serious conditions—and big medical costs. But if you fell through no fault of your own, you may have a right to a substantial settlement, including money for medical bills and the pain you have suffered. Don’t blame yourself. You need to talk to a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer.
The Simmrin Law Group can help you. We have put together a team of some of the most respected personal injury lawyers in the state. We understand slip and falls cases—and the arguments the insurance company will use against you. Let us give you a free consultation and show you how we can help win you money. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your free consultation today.
What makes slip and fall injuries so serious?
We’ve all had cases where we stumbled or tripped and were fine. Unfortunately, not all falls end this way. In fact, falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries nationwide.
The reasons for this are simple:
- Falls are unexpected and you have no chance to prepare
- Your natural instinct may be to throw out a hand to catch yourself, potentially breaking an arm or wrist
- Many falls result in a blow to the head—one of the most serious injuries possible
- Obstacles on the ground may make the fall even worse
Worst of all, seniors ages 65 and over are the group most likely to fall, and injuries tend to be much more serious at this age. But people of all ages, including children, can face serious injuries or even death because of a fall.
Never let anyone minimize the seriousness of your fall—and don’t blame yourself. Many falls are caused by someone else’s negligence.
Who is at fault in a slip and fall case?
Both insurance companies and property owners are quick to blame the person who fell. Don’t listen—this is their way of trying to avoid taking responsibility. The fact is that most falls happen for a reason, and it’s often because someone in charge of the property was careless. If this is the case, the business or property owner is at fault and they are liable for your injuries.
Some of the most common causes of slip/trip and fall injuries include:
- Wet or mopped floor with no visible warning sign
- Spilled beverages not being cleaned up
- Unmarked or poorly marked steps
- Uneven pavement
- Poorly lit areas
- Faulty staircase railing or no rail
- Slippery conditions that could have been prevented
Under these conditions, the person who fell is NOT responsible. Even someone who pays attention to where they’re walking could fall and be injured under these circumstances.
What should I do if I’ve fallen and been injured?
You should take simple steps to protect yourself immediately:
- Do not apologize, take the blame or say you’re fine
- Report the injury to the property owner or a manager at the business
- Take pictures or video with your phone, showing any hazards or obstacles and exactly what happened
- Talk to witnesses and ask for their contact information
Obviously, you should call 911 and go to a hospital if your injuries are severe. Otherwise, take these protective steps right away. You can be sure that the hazard will already be cleaned up if you come back later.
The insurance company is blaming me, what do I do?
Talk to a lawyer immediately. Insurance companies often use this tactic, along with other tricks such as:
- Offering you “quick cash” that is much less than you will need long-term
- Delaying your claim
- Demanding more paperwork from you
- Asking how you’re feeling and using your answer against you.
You can avoid all of these traps by putting a professional on the job. As soon as you have an attorney, the insurance company must stop contacting you directly and go through them. This both protects you and improves your negotiating power.
How much money can I win in a slip and fall injury claim?
The law lets you recover money for two kinds of damages:
- The actual costs of all losses such as medical bills, lost work time, loss of future earning potential, and any other hard costs. This includes the projected future cost of all long-term treatment.
- “General” damages, which is money to offset serious losses like pain, anguish, or a permanent injury. This money cannot undo what you’ve suffered, but it helps you rebuild your life.
The money from general damages is often the largest part of your settlement, and it’s what allows you to move on with your life. In many cases a slip and fall settlement can pay you more than $1 million. Even smaller settlements are often hundreds of thousands.
How much does a Los Angeles slip and fall lawyer cost?
We don’t believe it should cost you anything out of pocket. We offer a free consultation to get you started, and if we take on your case, you owe us NOTHING unless we win you money. This is your guarantee that working with us is risk-free and that we only get paid if you get paid.
Talk to a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Lawyer for Free
A single slip and fall can be a life-changing injury. Don’t try to face it alone. The attorneys of the Simmrin Law Group know how to take on insurance companies and we know how to win. Let us give you a FREE consultation. Fill out the form to the right or call us at 310-997-4688 and get your free consultation today.