Choosing the right lawyer is important if you are accused of driving under the influence (DUI) in Los Angeles. A legal professional can help you:
- Handle questioning by police officers and prosecutors
- Go over any plea bargains you are offered
- Get your charges reduced or even dismissed
- Build a strong defense if your case goes to court
Use this article to review the best ways to choose a Los Angeles DUI attorney if you or a loved one is arrested. Focus on the qualities you should look for in a lawyer with the Simmrin Law Group.
Steps to Pick a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer: List Your Options
There are many legal teams that offer help with DUI charges in Los Angeles. You may want to select a number of potential options. You can make a list by:
- Searching the internet for law firms in your area that take on DUI cases
- Going through the phonebook to find DUI lawyers
- Getting recommendations from your friends or family members
Once you have a list of options, you can begin thinning out your options. Before you ever contact a DUI lawyer you can check:
- Feedback from their previous clients
- To see if they have outstanding complaints
- Their websites to learn more about the types of cases they handle
Using this information can help you narrow down your list of potential lawyers.
Steps to Pick a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer: Ask Questions
Before you decide on your Los Angeles DUI lawyer, you need to ask them some important questions. It is highly recommended that you write down your questions before calling the law firms you are interested in. Examples of questions you might ask include:
- What kind of training did your lawyer receive to handle DUI cases?
- How many DUI cases has your lawyer worked on in Los Angeles?
- Does your lawyer have a history of successfully resolving DUI cases?
- What strategies might your lawyer use to defend you?
In many cases, you can ask these questions over the phone. If you are satisfied with the answers, you may request an in-person consultation so you can get one-on-one attention from a legal professional.
Steps to Pick a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer: Complete a Free Consultation
Face-to-face consultations can allow you to share more information about the specific facts surrounding your case. You can look for a criminal defense lawyer in Los Angeles who offers free consultations to potential clients to limit costs for your legal case.
During your consultation, you can ask any other questions you’ve developed since your phone conversation. If you have not already discussed it, it is highly recommended that you use this opportunity to ask about the costs you will be expected to pay.
Many DUI lawyers do not use a set fee for all cases they handle. The costs for your defense may depend upon:
- The complexity of your case
- Your odds for winning the case
- The fees associated with tests
- The hourly fee of the lawyer
- The lawyer’s level of experience
If the price offered by the lawyer will not work for you, you can cross them off of your list as you work to choose the right Los Angeles DUI Lawyer.
Steps to Pick a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer: Make Sure You’re Comfortable
An experienced lawyer with great reviews and a fair price quote may still not be the right option for you in Los Angeles. It is important that you work with a legal professional you can trust. You need to feel comfortable with your legal team, as you will need to be honest about your situation.
It’s a good idea to pick a DUI lawyer in California who is willing to explain complicated legal terms to you. You may also want to work with a lawyer who is:
- Eager to take on your case
- Confident in their legal know-how
- Willing to listen to what you have to say
Following these steps can help you pick a DUI lawyer in Los Angeles who can resolve the charges you are facing.
Contact a Los Angeles DUI Lawyer Now
The team at the Simmrin Law Group understands what it takes to handle DUI accusations in Los Angeles. You can discuss your unique needs with our DUI lawyers in Los Angeles today. We offer a FREE initial case evaluation to clients in your position.
Let us provide you with professional legal advice today. Call us at (310) 997-4688 or complete our online contact form to find out exactly how we can help you take on DUI accusations in California.