Sex crimes can be horrible experiences for victims, alleged offenders, and anyone else involved to be in. Those that commit them can face severe punishments and lose their rights before being found guilty in a court of law.
Unfortunately, you can be accused of sex crimes with little to no evidence, which complicates the legal process. If you or someone in your family has been charged with a sex crime, contacting a criminal defense lawyer is imperative.
Common Types of Sex Crimes
Throughout the state of California, there are various types of common sex crimes that one can be charged with. For instance, here are some common crimes that are committed in California:
- Rape: As many know, rape is a serious and common sex crime that individuals can commit. Rape is considered to be any sexual act that isn’t consented to.
- Sexual battery: Rape and other sexual acts can be forms of sexual assault, but in general, this crime is considered touching someone in areas that shouldn’t be touched. Sexual battery is done to others for pleasure or gratification for the party that is carrying out the action.
- Child abuse with sexual acts: Child abuse occurs when an adult will force themselves onto a child in order to feel pleasure. In order to be convicted, the child in question must be under the age of consent and have experienced some physical harm.
- Prostitution: In California, this law will apply to someone who is selling their body for money to satisfy someone else. In order to breach this law, both parties must agree on the transaction and have both exchanged goods.
- Date rape: This offense is when someone will force non-consensual sexual acts on another person through third-party means, such as drugging them.
- Lewd conduct: If you are in a public place and see someone touching themselves or bringing pleasure in open view, this is considered lewd conduct. Those that do these sexual acts in public will be charged.
- Indecent exposure: SImilar to the crime above, indecent exposure is when a person purposely exposes their private parts in a public place where others can see.
For a free legal consultation, call (310) 896-2723
Consequences of Certain Sex Crimes
In California, the state is believed to be one of the hardest on accused sex offenders. If someone committed these crimes and is found guilty, they will be subject to prison sentences for life in some cases.
Listed below are some common sex crimes and the most common charges that someone can face:
- Acts of lewd or lascivious conduct: This is a common charge for those who have committed sexual molestation or child abuse of someone under the age of 14. Because this crime covers vast actions, this charge can be broad, with prison sentences ranging from three to 16 years.
- Statutory rape: This term is not to be confused with rape solely because rape is between a consenting adult. Statutory rape occurs when an adult has relations with someone who is not of the proper age to consent. In a case such as this, the charges faced can be that of a felony.
- Sexual assault or battery: For this type of crime, there are various penalties that one can face. For a misdemeanor charge, you can be put in jail for up to four years and be fined between $3,000 and $10,000. In some cases, felony charges can be given.
- Rape: A crime such as this is quite confusing when it comes to the consequences an individual can be given. Generally, those convicted of rape will face serious jail time and be required to be added to a sec offender list.
Of course, all these penalties will need to depend on the case and the individual circumstances. Another common difference happens when a crime is charged with a felony or misdemeanor. Typically, in California, the amount of jail time can be punishable by life.
California Sex Offenders List
Those that commit sex offense crimes will be required to register as a sex offender on the registry list online. However, the judge presiding over each case will need to determine whether or not they will require the defendant to register for this list or not.
In some instances, a solid defense law team will be able to help you avoid registering for this list, or can equally lessen the sentence. In the best of cases, a defense attorney, such as those at Simmirm Law, can fully eliminate the conviction.
On the other hand, if you are required to register for this list, there is an option to have yourself removed after a certain amount of time. In California, some can apply for a certificate of rehabilitation, which will show that they have not committed any other similar crimes and have completed any jail time or parole they were sentenced to.
If you fail to register for this list or don’t comply with the judge’s rulings, you could face further jail time. Even though this list can sometimes limit housing options or job opportunities, it is important to comply with your sentence if you commit sex crimes.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
Simmrin Defense Lawyers Are Here for You!
With all crimes, there is a possibility of false accusations. If you believe you have been falsely accused or wrongfully convicted of any sex offenses, seeking legal assistance is key. Reaching out to Simmrin Law Group will be your best option.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us today. When giving us a call, we offer free consultations so that you can determine if you wish to move forward with your case or not.