Police in Anaheim have arrested a man on the charge of reckless driving after he and as many as 80 other drivers blocked an intersection as part of a street takeover early Sunday Morning.
The Orange County Register reported that that the incident happened at the intersection of Brookhurst Street and Crescent Avenue at around 1:45 A.M.
Sgt. Jacob Gallacher with the Anaheim Police Department said that police received a report that between 50 and 80 vehicles were blocking the intersection with approximately 70 pedestrians in the vicinity. Gallacher believes that the incident involved a car club that decided to take over the street.
According to a Tweet released via the Anaheim Police Department’s Twitter Account, drivers were doing donuts in the intersection. The lead driver in a Ford Mustang who was participating in the “sideshow” seemed to want to attract the attention of law enforcement officers on the ground and in a police helicopter.
The driver was arrested at the scene and charged with reckless driving, illegal speed contest, and vandalism. Because there was a 16-year-old girl who was also with him in the car, he also faces an additional charge of child endangerment.
His identity has not been released.
“This is something occurring not just in Anaheim, but all over the state,“ Gallacher told reporters.
For a free legal consultation, call (310) 896-2723
There have been a number of street takeovers in Orange County. A similar incident in Tustin last month involved an estimated 100 vehicles. In December of 2019, another incident on the 57 Freeway near Angel Stadium in Anaheim was broken up by California Highway Patrol officers. Six cars were impounded and several drivers and spectators were arrested.