A sex crime charge can have an everlasting impact on your life. It’s a serious accusation that may be difficult to escape, even if the allegation is false. If you are in this kind of predicament, you will want someone to stand up for your rights while working in your best interests.
Whether you were accused of rape, molestation, child pornography or any other offense, a sex crimes lawyer in Carlsbad will do their best to secure a dismissal, acquittal, or strike a deal with prosecutors on a lesser charge. You will need a strong defense and an experienced legal team to provide that for you.
Why You Should Hire a Carlsbad Sex Crimes Attorney
Hiring a Carlsbad sex crimes attorney to represent you will help to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you are not unnecessarily and unfairly convicted of a criminal offense. Even if you have been arrested, it does not necessarily mean that you will be charged or convicted.
The police and prosecution will do everything they can to make sure that you are charged and convicted. They may trick you into self-incrimination, elicit a false confession, misrepresent the evidence they have against you, or even create witnesses out of thin air as a scare tactic.
San Diego County prosecutors are specially educated and trained professionals who are tasked with handling the state’s case against you. Hiring an educated legal professional to lead your defense will show the prosecution you are serious about your defense and future.
For a free legal consultation with a sex crimes lawyer serving Carlsbad, call (310) 928-9347
Understanding Sexual Offenses in California
In the state of California, criminal sexual offenses that are punishable by fines and jail time include:
- Rape: Violent, nonconsensual sexual intercourse between strangers or people who know each other.
- Date rape: A rape crime that occurs between people who are romantically involved or know each other socially.
- Spousal rape: One spouse forces the other spouse to have sexual acts.
- Statutory rape: A legal adult (person 18 years or older) has sex with a minor (someone younger than 18 but older than 14). Even if the alleged perpetrator did not know that the victim was a minor, he or she could still be convicted.
- Sexual battery: Touching someone in a sexual manner without his or her consent.
- Prostitution: Soliciting or engaging in sexual acts for commerce. Both the prostitute and the person accused of receiving sexual services can be charged.
- Child molestation: Committing a lewd act with a minor.
- Indecent exposure: Exposing one’s private parts in public.
- Pornography: Possessing, making, or distributing pictures, writing, video, or art of sexually explicit material.
Carlsbad Sex Crimes Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Sex Crime Laws in California
Under California Penal Code Section 290, a person convicted of certain sexual offenses must notify the local enforcement agency that he or she is a registered sex offender. This penalty is for life.
Megan’s Law in the state of California allows the public to access information about sexual offenders. While this database does not contain every individual, there is registration information provided by the offender to local law enforcement agencies. This website indicates that some of the registrants are currently in violation of their registration requirements.
What Does a Sex Crimes Lawyer in Carlsbad Do?
Much of the work a criminal defense attorney does is actually done outside of the courtroom. When you hire a criminal defense attorney, you can expect them to undertake a thorough investigation into your alleged crime as well as conduct unparalleled legal research and argument development in order to negotiate with the prosecuting attorney.
An investigation allows your lawyer to retrace the steps taken by law enforcement and to gather additional insight that can be crucial for developing a strong criminal law defense. During the course of an investigation your sex crimes lawyer in Carlsbad may:
- Review the police report, witness statements, and photographs of the scene
- Analyze gathered evidence
- Consult with appropriate experts, which may include forensics experts, medical professionals, mental health professionals, and crime scene recreationists
- Confirm alibis
- Interview witnesses
- Find other potential suspects
- Gather evidence that weakens the prosecution’s case
- Research relevant case law
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Sex Crimes Investigation and Carlsbad Lawyer Defense
Many sex crimes cases emphasize preparation for trial, while also aggressively pursuing negotiations for reduced charges or alternative sentencing. Your defense attorneys should be prepared to appeal an unjust decision to a higher court in defense of your rights. In any Carlsbad criminal sexual conduct case, proper investigation and preparation may include:
- Thoroughly checking the credibility and validity of any witnesses
- Exhausting all possibilities for gathering and evaluating DNA evidence
- Proving wrongful accusations or misidentification
By hiring a legal team, you can get help moving past the feeling of intimidation and confusion, to fully understand your legal options.
Contact Simmrin Law Office to Speak With an Experienced Carlsbad Sexual Crimes Lawyer
The attorneys at Simmrin Law Group know how to protect your legal rights while vigorously defending you against all criminal sex charges.
In the event that dropping the charges or an acquittal is not an option, Carlsbad sexual crimes lawyers will pursue the best outcome possible, including a plea bargain, reduced charges, and alternative sentencing, such as house arrest, electronic monitoring, or community service. Contact us to get started today with a free consultation.