A property crime charge can bring serious consequences, and a conviction could change your life forever. If you’re facing these charges, a Carlsbad, CA, property crimes attorney from the Simmrin Law Group can help you fight them to protect your freedom and reputation.
If convicted of a property crime, you could easily spend years in prison and face thousands of dollars in restitution. That makes it important to find a lawyer who can skillfully argue your case in a court of law. Doing so could be what helps you keep your freedom.
Common Property Crimes in Carlsbad
There’s a wide variety of property crimes for which you could be charged in Carlsbad. Many, but not all, involve some form of theft or property destruction. Here are some of the most common you could face and what they mean:
- Theft/Larceny: The intent and actual act of dispossessing another of someone’s possessions.
- Robbery: A theft committed with violence.
- Burglary: The unauthorized entry into another person’s building with the intent to commit a crime without the owner’s consent.
- Shoplifting: Theft from a retail establishment.
- Forgery: The stealing of one person’s signature or documents for the benefit of another.
- Embezzlement: The stealing of money from business partners or those who trusted the perpetrator.
- Vandalism: The defacement, damage, or destruction of a building or part of it.
- Arson: Setting a fire to commit a theft or other illegal act.
It’s possible to be charged with more than one property crime at once. Additionally, you may be charged with additional crimes, especially if someone was harmed in the course of the crime that was committed. Knowing the full scope of charges against you is vital to making the best defense against them with an experienced lawyer.
For a free legal consultation with a property crimes lawyer serving Carlsbad, call (310) 896-2723
Defenses Against Property Crime Charges
There are three main defenses used in cases involving property crimes. One or more may apply to you, and if they do, you can stand a much stronger chance of winning your case. A criminal defense lawyer can examine your case to see if the following defenses apply to you:
- Lack of intent: Property crimes require an intent by a person to commit a crime. If it can be demonstrated that you lacked the intent to commit a crime, you may win your case.
- Owner’s consent: If the owner allowed you to take an item or enter a building, you would be innocent, as property crimes occur when you violate an owner’s consent.
- False accusations or mistaken identity: If you weren’t the person who actually committed the property crime, or if you are falsely accused of doing so, then you aren’t guilty.
Working with an experienced lawyer can make the difference between a guilty verdict and your freedom. Our expert criminal defense team can work with you to craft the best defense possible given the circumstances of your case.
Carlsbad Property Crimes Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
What Are the Penalties for Property Crimes in Carlsbad?
The penalty for property cries varies depending on the amount of damages the victim suffered and the extent to which their property was damaged. In some instances, the dollar amount of damages a defendant is accused of causing can turn a charge from a misdemeanor into a felony. A Carlsbad property crimes attorney can review your case and potential penalties.
Click to contact our Carlsbad Criminal Defense Lawyers today
Work With a Property Crimes Lawyer in Carlsbad, CA
At the Simmrin Law Group, we can provide you with the legal assistance you need. If you’ve been charged with a property crime in Carlsbad, our team of attorneys can assist you and help you mount a strong defense. We know how unfairly you can be treated by the legal system and will ensure that you’re in the best position to fight for your rights.
Contact us today and we can review your case and discuss the best way to proceed. You deserve a fair fight for justice, and we know how easily it is to be denied that right. Our property crimes lawyers in Carlsbad are there to fight for you at every step of your case, so get in touch with us today.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form