Few types of criminal offenses are as severe as those related to weapons charges. The court system may be far more likely to prosecute you harshly if you are convicted of a weapons offense. For this reason, having a dedicated Chino Hills weapons charges lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group on your side could make all the difference in the outcome of your case.
Contact our team for a confidential case evaluation today and find out more about how you can defend yourself after being arrested on weapons charges.
When You Can Face Weapons Charges in Chino Hills
Your weapons charges lawyer in Chino Hills, CA is here to help ensure you understand the severity of the charges you are facing. There are many firearms and weapons laws in place within the state that, if violated, could result in criminal charges.
California has some of the strictest gun laws in the entire country. Some of the most notable include:
- Purchasing firearms through a licensed dealer
- Gun dealers must maintain a California state license
- Firearms buyers are required to pass a written exam
- Firearms buyers are required to receive a Firearm Safety Certificate
- Individuals interested in purchasing handguns are limited to one handgun purchase per month
- The sale of a firearm always requires a background check
- Transferring or selling a firearm requires a 10-day waiting period
- The state of California has a .50 caliber rifle band, including a ban on other types of assault weapons
Types of Chino Hills Weapons Charges
Weapons charges can be prosecuted at the misdemeanor or a felony level based on the type of weapon involved, whether you are facing other related charges, your criminal history, and other aggravating factors. Examples of the types of offenses your weapons charges attorney in Chino Hills may be able to help you defend against include:
- Carrying a concealed firearm under California Penal Code §25400 PC
- Assault with a deadly weapon under California Penal Code §245(a)(1) PC
- Unlicensed sale of a firearm under California Penal Code §26500
- Brandishing a weapon under California Penal Code §417 PC
- Felon in possession of a firearm under California Penal Code §29800 PC
- Openly carrying an unloaded handgun under California Penal Code §26350 PC
- Shooting at an aircraft, dwelling, or vehicle under California Penal Code Sections §246 and §247
Other potential weapons charges you could be facing include:
- Carrying a loaded gun in public
- Possession of an illegal firearm
- Discharging a gun from a vehicle
- Failure to register a gun brought in from another state
- The reckless discharge of a firearm
These are only a few of the different types of weapons charges you could be arrested on in Chino Hills. Our weapons charges lawyers are here to ensure you understand the extent of the charges against you and the potential penalties you are facing. This way, you can make an educated and informed choice as to how you want to proceed with your defense.
For a free legal consultation with a weapons charges lawyer serving Chino Hills, call (310) 896-2723
After a Guilty Verdict, Your Life Will Change
If you are found guilty of weapons charges, your entire life will be affected. Our weapons charge is lawyers can work diligently to build a compelling defense and work with the prosecuting attorney to obtain a plea agreement wherever possible.
It is important you understand the severity of the charges you are facing. Here is more about the criminal penalties and collateral consequences of a weapon charge conviction in CA:
The criminal penalties you can face if you are convicted on a weapons offense will vary widely depending on the specific charge you are facing.
For instance, if you were charged with a misdemeanor for carrying a concealed firearm, you might face fines as high as $1,000 and be ordered to spend up to one year in county jail. However, if you were charged with a felony carrying a concealed firearm, fines could reach up to $10,000, and you could be ordered to spend up to three years in a county jail.
In addition to fines and jail time, you also may need to worry about whether a conviction for a weapons charge will add a strike to your record. California’s Three-Strikes Habitual Offender Laws could land you in prison for the rest of your life if you are found guilty, and this is your third offense.
There is no part of your life that will be unaffected by a conviction for a weapons offense. You may need to spend some time in jail or prison and pay a fine, but the ways your life will be affected will continue to haunt you for years to come.
It is not uncommon for convicted felons to find it difficult to find housing or employment, be denied job opportunities, be disqualified from federal student aid eligibility, and have other restrictions in place, including a curfew and regular meetings with a probation officer.
Your reputation will likely be influenced by your conviction as well. This may make it difficult for you to continue professionally, maintain relationships with family and friends, and maintain your child custody or visitation rights. With so much on the line, it is imperative that you get a weapons charge lawyer on your side who can help you clear your name of the allegations against you.
Chino Hills Weapons Charges Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Ways to Defend Yourself When Facing Weapons Charges in Chino Hills
If you are hoping to defend yourself and avoid the harsh consequences of a weapons charge conviction, it will be up to your lawyer to figure out which defense is best suited for your case. Examples of potential defenses used in weapons charges cases include:
- You were carrying a weapon in self-defense.
- You were in legal possession of a firearm or weapon.
- The weapon was only discovered after an unlawful search.
- You were not aware that you were in possession of a weapon or a firearm.
- The police report filed contains false information or statements.
Click to contact our Chino Hills Criminal Defense Lawyers today
Contact a Chino Hills Weapons Charges Attorney for Help Today
A weapons charge conviction is sure to haunt you for the rest of your life. If you are hoping to avoid the fallout of a guilty verdict, preparing a powerful defense strategy may be in your best interests.
Find out how to best approach your case when you contact a respected Chino Hills weapons charges lawyer at the Simmrin Law Group for a confidential case review. Fill out our secured contact form or call us to get started on your defense strategy as soon as today.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form