The courts in Irvine and the rest of southern California consider domestic violence a grave offense. With one of their responsibility being to guarantee the safety of all family members, including kids, they harshly rebuff any actions associated with aggressive behavior at home.
When accused of domestic violence in Irvine, you might confront a variety of punishments that could vigorously affect your life. Consider getting help from an Irvine domestic violence defense lawyer along these lines.
What Domestic Violence Entails in Irvine
California Penal Code §273.5 PC characterizes aggressive behavior at home as a mental, physical, or obnoxious attack toward an individual from the culprit’s family. It regularly happens between partners who are dating or married to each other.
However, it could also include kids, guardians, kin, and housemates. The offense encompasses the following behaviors:
- Misleading imprisonment
- Monetary, sexual, and mental abuse
- Psychological mistreatment
Regardless, if you have just been blamed for abusive behavior at home, you might face prompt and serious consequences. So, think about engaging a domestic violence defense lawyer in Irvine quickly.
For a free legal consultation with a domestic violence defense lawyer serving Irvine, call (310) 896-2723
Punishments for Domestic Abuse
Abusive behavior at home is a “wobbler,” which implies that you can also face felony or misdemeanor charges. Your case’s subtleties, including the supposed victim’s nature and degree of wounds, determine the charges you face.
In Irvine, misdemeanor allegations attract up to one-year imprisonment and a fine of $6,000. For felonies, you may face up to four years in jail, probation, and significant fines.
Other punishments might include:
- Restraining orders
- Loss of parental privileges
- A compulsory 26-week anger control session
- A compulsory 52-week rehabilitation
- Compensating the supposed casualty
The Offense Will Permanently Be on Your Record
A domestic violence conviction will be on your record permanently and can surface in any individual verification exercise. This can render things difficult when looking for a job or housing or seeking proficient authorization.
Depending on the conditions of your case, our Irvine defense legal counselors can haggle with the prosecution to minimize your charges and punishments.
Irvine Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
The Fundamental Defenses Against Irvine Domestic Violence Cases and How an Attorney Can Help
Whenever your legal counsel verifies the police report and other details linked with your case, they can get started on formulating a defense strategy. The following are some of the key defenses against domestic violence.
You did Not Do It
If the victim endured injuries because of someone else, your Irvine domestic violence defense lawyer could search for evidence to help that case. This includes:
- Trying to show your whereabouts and provide a sound alibi; if you were or were not at or close to the scene when the victim sustained injuries.
- Searching for any implicating proof that can show you were at the scene.
Your Partner Lied
It is likewise conceivable that your companion might have created the entire story to settle the score. Your lawyer can try to establish:
- Whether the victim’s wounds support the story
- Whether your story conflicts with the police report, for example, saying the victim sustained injuries in the shower when nothing in the report suggests the same.
It Was Accidental
Here you accept that you were present when the victim suffered their injuries and that you caused the injuries accidentally. Your domestic violence defense attorney in Irvine can additionally investigate to affirm the consistency of your story.
For example, if a mallet slipped and hit your partner while you were doing a few fixes in the kitchen, your defense counsel can check for repairs in the kitchen, the area where the tool fell, the victim’s position during the mishap, and blood smudges on other potential weapons.
It Was Self-Defense
If you were simply guarding yourself or your children, your Irvine domestic violence defense attorney can:
- Check the police report to confirm the victim’s brutality and the motivation behind it
- Assess the victim’s wounds that display self-defense
- Examine you for self-defense injuries
- Search for any inconsistencies.
The Prosecution Cannot Prove the Domestic Violence Allegations
At times, the victim can fail to confirm that you were the person who attacked them. At such periods, your attorney can:
- Decide whether the prosecution’s case is based on the victim’s claims.
- Verify whether you sustained any wounds, and if so, whether they were because of self-defense.
- Affirm whether the official’s report noticed any damaged property on the scene.
- Obtain actual proof of the scene that could show that you could have attacked the person in question (victim). For example, if there are fingerprints on any weapons used that implicate you.
- Check whether you said something at the scene and what it was.
- Confirm whether you were intimidating or threatening the victim to prevent them from affirming their story.
You did It But as a Response to the Victim’s Behavior
When you concede to the domestic violence allegations but claim that your actions were triggered by the victim’s attitude, abuse, or ailment, your defense attorney can examine whether the prosecution can show anything past your word against the victim’s story and whether there is any proof validating the victim’s statements.
Even when your Irvine domestic violence lawyer can employ the above defense strategies, the case’s final outcome is dependent on your cooperation. Therefore, being forthright with all subtleties connected with the case will make the entire sequence a lot simpler.
Besides, withholding any imperative detail could impact your opportunity to claim your freedom or loss of employment and, in the end, could leave you serving time in jail.
Contact an Irvine Domestic Violence Attorney for a Free Consultation
A domestic abuse case attracts serious legal consequences and could even leave you serving a jail term. However, you can still get an effective defense to ensure that your side of the story comes out and you are not wrongly punished. For this to work, you should retain a skilled attorney.
Simmrin Law Group’s criminal defense lawyer has many years of criminal defense insight. The firm has helped many individuals accused of aggressive behavior at home, and we can strive to defend you without compromising your rights. Contact us today for a free consultation.