Are you facing domestic violence allegations in Burbank? If so, it is critical that you take action to defend yourself against these accusations. Charges of this nature are sure to have a devastating impact on your reputation, whether you are convicted or acquitted.
Make sure you take action to protect your future while you can. Contact and experience Burbank domestic violence defense lawyer to learn more about how to best approach your defense strategy.
How a Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer in Burbank Can Help
Domestic violence allegations are a serious offense in Burbank. You need a dedicated legal defender on your side who can help you dodge a conviction. When you choose a domestic violence defense attorney to protect your best interests, you can expect:
- Thorough knowledge of the legal system, prosecutors, and judges
- An in-depth investigation into the allegations against you
- A zealous legal advocate who will fight for your future and liberties
- A trusted attorney who will respect you and your rights
When your freedom is on the line, anything less than a fierce defender is unacceptable. Make sure you have a criminal defense attorney you can count on during these difficult times.
For a free legal consultation with a domestic violence defense lawyer serving Burbank, call (310) 896-2723
California Domestic Violence Laws
In the state of California, you can face domestic violence charges when there is an offense between household members or someone else who might share a close relationship with. This can include emotional, sexual, physical, and financial acts of violence. Some of the different parties who may be considered household members or intimate partners include:
- A current or former romantic partner
- A current or former spouse
- A current or former cohabitant
- Your child’s other parent
- Your parents or grandparents
- Other family members
Under California Penal Code §273.5, domestic violence is a wobbler offense. This means you could be facing misdemeanor or felony charges depending on the specific details of your case.
The prosecutor will need to show that your actions were intentional and willful and that you inflicted bodily injury on the alleged victim in your case if they hope to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
Burbank Domestic Violence Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Common Types of Domestic Violence Charges in Burbank
There are many types of offenses you could face in relation to domestic violence under California law. Since domestic violence encompasses so many different criminal offenses, it is important that you discuss the specific charges against you so you can understand the severity of the penalties you are facing.
With that in mind, some of the more common types of domestic violence-related charges in Burbank include
- Elder abuse
- Child abuse
- Domestic battery
- Making criminal threats
- Child endangerment
- Violating a restraining order or order of protection
What Are the Penalties for a Burbank Domestic Violence Conviction?
Since there are so many domestic violence-related charges, the consequences you can face if you are convicted can vary wildly based on the specific domestic violence charge in your case. However, the majority of domestic violence offenses carry similar penalties.
For example, if you are found guilty of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense, you could expect to spend time in county jail and be ordered to pay fines of up to $1,000. However, there are other collateral penalties you could be dealing with if you are convicted. Some of these include:
- Reputational damage
- Child custody or visitation issues
- Loss of firearm rights
- Trouble finding work or housing
- Citizenship and immigration troubles
California’s Three Strikes Law
There is also the risk that you could have an additional strike added to your record under California’s Three Strikes Law. Here, under California Penal Code §667, if you are charged with felony domestic violence charges and have a prior felony conviction on your record, you could face a strike. If this is your third strike, you could be facing life in prison.
With penalties this harsh, taking charge of your defense has never been more important. With help from your attorney, you can analyze the specificities of your case to determine which approach is most likely to produce a favorable outcome in your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Potential Defenses Against Domestic Violence Charges in Burbank
If you are hoping to dodge a domestic violence conviction in Burbank, it is important to consider your defense options. Many domestic violence-related offenses will not be eligible for pretrial diversion. These alternative sentencing programs are often available to first-time, non-violent offenders.
If the domestic violence charges against you were non-violent, pretrial diversion may be available. However, if you are not eligible for a pretrial diversion program, or if the prosecutor is unwilling to offer a plea agreement, preparing a powerful defense may be in your best interests. Some of the more common types of defenses used in domestic violence cases include:
- The allegations against the defendant are false – When tempers flare in family and close relationships, false allegations are far more common than you might think. Your attorney will open up a comprehensive investigation into the accusations against you so the jury understands the full story.
- The defendant lacks intent – If you had no intention of causing physical bodily injury to the alleged victim in your case, the domestic violence charges against you may not be appropriate and could result in a reduction or dismissal of your case.
- The defendant was acting in self-defense – Arguing self-defense is one of the most common types of defenses used in domestic violence cases. For this defense to be viable, you must show that you had reasonable belief that you or someone else was in imminent danger of physical bodily injury or death, and that you needed to use force to avoid this threat.
Contact an Experienced Domestic Violence Defense Attorney in Burbank for a Free Consultation Today
If you are convicted of a domestic violence offense in Burbank, your entire life could change. Not only could you be facing criminal penalties, but the impact a conviction will have on you personally and professionally could be significant.
Take action on your defense today. Call an experienced Burbank domestic violence defense attorney to schedule your initial defense strategy session. You can reach us by phone or through our convenient contact form to get started.