When you are placed under arrest, your entire life can change, and you could suffer severe repercussions. The seriousness of your crime will determine your penalties and potential defenses. You must act swiftly because the criminal process is fast and harsh.
The prosecution is only interested in pinning this crime on you and ensuring you go to jail. This is why you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Pico-Union, CA, who will work to keep you from facing the significant repercussions that come with a conviction. Simmrin Law Group is here for you when facing a criminal charge.
Types of Criminal Defense Cases
The criminal justice system is supposed to protect and serve the people, but law enforcement, judges, and prosecutors often make mistakes that impact your life. You may be innocent, and there could be a misunderstanding about the circumstances. Our Pico-Union criminal defense lawyers are skilled at defending you when you have been unjustly accused.
We handle criminal cases such as:
- Violent crimes
- Drug crimes
- White collar crimes
- Theft crimes
- Sex crimes
- Traffic violations
- And more
We can also help expunge your record of prior convictions when you call the Simmrin Law Group.
For a free legal consultation with a criminal defense lawyer serving Pico-Union, call (310) 896-2723
Theft and Fraud
In general, theft is taking something without authorization from an entity or person. Theft crimes have different characterizations and therefore varying punishments. You can suffer a petty or grand theft charge, which can be broken down even further.
There are many types of theft crimes in California law. The determination of whether a charge is petty or grand theft will depend on the cost of the item stolen. Property worth $950 or less is petty theft, and stolen property valued above this amount results in a charge of grand theft. Cars and some animals are automatically categorized as grand theft.
Fraud is another theft-related crime where a person receives benefits they do not deserve by impersonating another person to steal money or information. Fraud is monetarily motivated and causes intentional harm to the individual. Some fraud cases can be categorized as federal crimes.
Pico-Union Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 896-2723
Homicide and Murder
The worst crime you can be charged with is murder or homicide. They both involve the loss of life, and a conviction on these charges will massively impact your future, especially if you are wrongfully accused. Within murder charges, there are different levels with varying penalties.
The worse your murder charges, the harsher your penalties. The levels of murder are:
- Capital murder: These are among the most severe cases, and murder with special circumstances can make matters worse. A prime example is when someone murders a witness so they cannot testify at trial.
- First-degree murder: The deliberate, premeditated killing of an individual is first-degree and is a felony charge. Torturing, poisoning, or using a destructive device also falls into this category.
- Felony murder: This charge involves killing someone while committing another crime, such as during a robbery.
- Second-degree murder: This charge is made when a person kills someone, but it is not a premeditated crime. Crimes of passion fall into this category because they happen within the heat of the moment, and the person who commits the murder did not think their actions through.
- Watson murder: If someone kills another person while drinking and driving, it is a Watson murder. One defense available is that you did not understand the dangers of drunk driving to avoid the harshest penalties, and if you have a history of DUIs, it can be challenging to defend yourself successfully.
- Manslaughter: When the murder does not fit into the other categories, it is considered manslaughter. There are offenses such as voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, and vehicular manslaughter.
If you are facing serious charges such as these, you must speak to a criminal defense attorney in Pico-Union, CA, as quickly as possible. You should not attempt to handle your own case. You will need a skilled legal professional to begin building a defense and work for the best outcome possible for your circumstances.
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
It is your constitutional right to own a firearm, but weapon laws exist, and you must use your weapons responsibly. California has tight regulations, and you can face several different charges, including:
- Brandishing a firearm
- Illegal possession of firearms
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Weapons trafficking
- Negligent discharge of a firearm
- Possession of an unregistered firearm
- Using a gun while committing a felony
Weapons charges can become federal, and you need an experienced Pico-Union criminal defense lawyer to ensure you keep your constitutional right to own a firearm.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
The Criminal Court Process
You will undergo four stages of the criminal court process: arrest, arraignment, pretrial, and trial. The first step is the arrest which begins your criminal case.
Law enforcement must have probable cause or reasonable suspicion you are committing a crime. They will arrest, process, and book you and then release you on bail. You will have a bail hearing to determine how much money you will have to pay to get out of jail.
The second part of the criminal court process is an arraignment which is your first court appearance after your arrest. The judge will inform you of your official charges, and you will enter your plea: guilty, not guilty, or no contest. When you plead not guilty, you must post bail, and a trial date will be set.
Pleading no contest means you accept the charges against you and will go into sentencing. The pretrial process happens after you enter a not-guilty plea. Your criminal defense lawyers will exchange information regarding your charges and ask the judge to make decisions on certain case aspects.
If you plead not guilty, you will also need to prepare for trial, where your criminal defense attorney will build your case so they can present it in front of a judge or jury.
Speak to a Pico-Union Criminal Defense Lawyer
You have rights to a fair trial and adequate criminal defense, but the criminal process can work too quickly for you to protect those rights unless you have guidance. The state will try to throw the book at you and lock you away for months or years, but we can circumvent that by investigating your circumstances and gathering evidence to help you.
To secure the best possible outcome for your future, you must discuss your criminal defense strategy with a criminal defense lawyer in Pico-Union, CA. Contact the Simmrin Law Group after your arrest for a free case evaluation today.
Call or text (310) 896-2723 or complete a Free Case Evaluation form