Make sure you’re ready to handle theft crimes accusations in Oceanside, CA by reaching out to a professional legal team quickly. Building a strong defense for petty theft, grand theft, and robbery accusations takes time, so contact the Simmrin Law Group as soon as you are arrested.
You can work with our theft crimes lawyers in Oceanside to get the legal advice you need today. We’re ready to block evidence against you. You can rely on us to work to get your charges reduced or even dismissed, so you can move forward with your life.
Major Theft Crime Categories in Oceanside
Theft crime charges in Oceanside are often divided up into several major categories by the courts. These categories can include:
- Petty theft
- Grand theft and grand theft auto
These charges may be used to prosecute other criminal acts. For example, many charges are treated like petty theft in the court system, including:
All theft crime charges should be treated seriously. A criminal defense lawyer in Oceanside can help you build a strong defense, regardless of the specific theft crime accusation you are facing in our area.
Charges for Petty Theft in Oceanside
Petty theft charges may be used against individuals who are accused of stealing:
- Agricultural and aquacultural products worth less than $250
- Other products worth less than $950
Petty theft charges will not be used in cases involving the theft of motor vehicles, horses, or firearms. Additionally, you can face harsher charges if you are accused of stealing directly from another person in Oceanside. Petty theft convictions can result in:
- Incarceration of up to six months
- Fines of up to $1,000
Charges for Grand Theft and Grand Theft Auto in Oceanside
The court system in Oceanside uses grand theft charges to prosecute the theft of:
- Motor vehicles, horses, and firearms of any value
- Agricultural and aquacultural products worth over $250
- All items worth over $950
Additionally, acts of theft directly from another person may be prosecuted with grand theft charges. However, grand theft charges will not be used if the theft is completed with the use of force or fear. Grand theft and grand theft auto convictions can result in:
- Incarceration of up to three years
- Fines of up to $10,000
You should be aware that individuals may be sentenced to additional time behind bars if they steal vehicles that are valued at over $65,000.
A Side-Note on Unlawful Taking of a Motor Vehicle Charges
Grand theft auto is not the only charge used to prosecute the theft of a car, truck, van, or motorcycle in Oceanside. Sometimes, the court may use unlawful taking of a motor vehicle charges instead. You may also hear this charge called “joyriding.”
Joyriding charges are used if someone:
- Steals a motor vehicle in Oceanside
- But intends to return the vehicle to its rightful owner
The penalties for joyriding are very similar to those for grand theft auto. However, joyriding is more likely to be charged as a misdemeanor, which can lower the penalties to:
- Incarceration of up to one year
- Fines of up to $5,000
Charges for Robbery in Oceanside
You could also be accused of robbery if you are charged with a theft crime in Oceanside. Robbery involves:
- Taking an item directly from another person
- Taking the item against the person’s will
- Using force or fear to take the item
- Intending to keep the item on a long-term or permanent basis
Robbery can be prosecuted in two different ways in Oceanside. First-degree robbery charges are used to prosecute acts of robbery that occur:
- In an inhabited structure
- In a motor vehicle while it is operational
- Close to an ATM after the victim used the ATM
Second-degree robbery charges are used to handle all other robbery charges. The penalties for a robbery conviction can include:
- Incarceration of up to five years for second-degree robbery
- Incarceration of up to nine years for first-degree robbery
- Fines of up to $10,000 for all robbery charges
The court system can greatly increase these penalties if an individual uses a firearm in the commission of an act of robbery.
Contact an Oceanside Theft Crimes Lawyer Immediately
You can improve your chances of successfully resolving a theft crimes accusation in Oceanside by contacting a team of legal professionals. The Simmrin Law Group’s theft crimes lawyers in Oceanside are ready to start building your defense. Just complete our online contact form or call (310) 997-4688.
We can even provide you with a FREE consultation so you can get answers to your legal questions.