You can begin building a strong defense if you are accused of driving under the influence (DUI) in Artesia, CA. It is important that you take DUI charges in our area seriously. Convictions for DUIs can result in fines, jail time, and the suspension of your driver’s license.
Fortunately, the professionals at the Simmrin Law Group can start working on your case today. You can reach out to our DUI lawyers in Artesia as soon as you are arrested. Let us assess your case, block evidence against you, and fight for you in and out of the courtroom.
The Facts Regarding Artesia DUI Charges
DUI charges in Artesia can be difficult to understand. This is partially because California’s legal codes regarding DUIs are very complicated. You can face a number of different charges based upon:
- Your alleged blood alcohol content (BAC)
- Your age or status as a commercial driver
- Your usage of illicit substances or prescription medications
In addition to the fact that there is no single charge used to prosecute DUIs, the court system does not always use the same penalties to punish DUI convictions. You can actually face more severe penalties each time you are arrested and convicted for a DUI in Artesia.
Make sure you are prepared to take on these complicated charges by reaching out to a criminal defense lawyer in Artesia today.
BAC Tests and Field Sobriety Tests in Artesia
In many cases, law enforcement officers who suspect drivers of a DUI will request that they complete field sobriety tests or chemical tests. Let’s go over these assessments briefly.
- Field Sobriety Tests. These assessments are designed to determine if you can demonstrate the skills of a sober person. You may be asked to walk a straight line, touch your nose, and complete other physical tests.
- Chemical Tests. Chemical tests are supposed to measure your BAC. You are probably familiar with the breathalyzer, which is a very common chemical test used in Artesia. If this test reports your BAC as above the legal limit, you could be arrested.
While prosecutors can try to convince you that these tests provide proof that you were driving under the influence, this is not always the case. A traffic violations lawyer in Artesia may be able to debate the validity of test results to help you beat a DUI charge.
DUI Convictions and Penalties in Artesia
DUI convictions in Artesia can lead to a number of serious penalties for drivers. As we mentioned, these penalties can increase in severity each time you are convicted. For example, a first-time conviction can lead to:
- Jail time of up to six months
- License suspension of up to one year
- Fines of up to $2,000
Compare this to a second DUI conviction, which may result in:
- Jail time of up to one year
- License suspension of up to two years
- Fines of up to $2,500
These penalties may continue to increase with subsequent DUI arrests. You could also be forced to attend and complete an alcohol treatment program in Artesia if you are convicted of a DUI. Increase your odds of handling these charges successfully by reaching out to a DUI lawyer now.
Legal Defenses for Artesia DUI Charges
You don’t have to attempt to resolve a DUI accusation in Artesia on your own. The Simmrin Law Group can offer you professional legal support with the hurdles you are facing. We may be able to build your defense by:
- Arguing that any chemical tests you completed were inaccurate
- Showing that you were unjustly stopped by a police officer
- Proving that you were not operating your vehicle in a dangerous way
Weakening the prosecution’s case by disputing the evidence against you may even allow us to resolve your case outside of the courtroom. We could be able to get your charges reduced to less serious legal accusations, such as:
- Dry reckless or
- Wet reckless
In some situations, your Artesia DUI charges could be dismissed entirely. For example, if you were stopped by a law enforcement officer without reasonable cause, your charges could be thrown out, allowing you to move forward with your life.
Contact an Artesia DUI Lawyer Right Now
You can improve your chances of successfully resolving DUI charges in Artesia by speaking with the Simmrin Law Group today. Our DUI lawyers in Artesia are standing by to begin working on your defense now. Start focusing on your legal needs by calling (310) 997-4688 or completing our online contact form.
We are ready to offer you a FREE consultation regarding your legal options following a DUI arrest.