The court system in Lancaster, CA treats the charge of driving under the influence (DUI) very severely. Even a single conviction can lead to fines, probation, jail time, and the suspension of your license. Taking a DUI charge seriously can have a large impact on your future.
Simmrin Law Group employs Lancaster DUI lawyers who understand how to deal with these charges effectively. Our criminal defense team can help you navigate the legal system in California and offer you courtroom defense.
Steps to Take When Charged with a DUI in Lancaster
After getting arrested for a DUI in California, there are steps you can take directly after that can help you defend yourself from a DUI conviction. Getting a DUI charge is scary, and you might not know who or where to turn to. Getting convicted can affect whether your license works and whether you can keep your job. Therefore, it is essential to keep a DUI off your record.
Steps to take after getting a DUI charge include:
- Take notes of what happened. Take highly detailed notes of what happened during the arrest as soon as you can after the arrest. This includes where the police officer pulled you over, the direction you were driving, the police officer’s name and badge number, and if the police officer read your Miranda rights. Include what you did throughout the day before the stop.
- Contact our Lancaster DUI attorney. A DUI attorney can request a hearing and represent you during the hearing. The courts could suspend your license if you don’t request a hearing within a specific timeframe. We can ensure your hearing is scheduled in time so you can keep your license.
- Identify witnesses. Contact anyone who saw you before the arrest to attest that you were not intoxicated when you left them. Also, if anyone witnessed the arrest, they could prove your account of events if the officers did something outside of their protocols at the time of the arrest.
- Obtain a copy of the police report. Our attorneys can review the police report with you. We can use this information to get the state to drop the charges or to negotiate a plea deal.
A DUI lawyer with experience handling these types of cases knows the complexities these cases can bring. However, our attorneys can work tirelessly to help you avoid a criminal conviction.
For a free legal consultation with a dui accidents lawyer serving Lancaster, call (310) 928-9347
How Our Lancaster DUI Lawyers Can Help
Hiring a DUI attorney soon after your arrest can help your case. Once we gather the details of your arrest, we can prepare a solid defense strategy. Possible defenses can include:
- You did not have a high level of alcohol in your system at the time of the arrest
- The police didn’t have reasonable suspicion to pull you over
- The police officers did not follow proper procedures during the time of your arrest.
- The prosecution doesn’t have enough evidence to convict you of a DUI.
Lancaster DUI Accident Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Build a Defense Against Traffic Violation Charges
While a DUI charge is extremely harsh, it is not the only traffic violation charge you might face in Lancaster. You might have to deal with various traffic infractions, which are not criminal offenses, though they can still come with fines and leave points on your license.
California also charges some traffic violations as misdemeanors or felonies. These acts are treated more seriously by the court system. They can include actions such as:
- Reckless Driving
- Driving on a Suspended License
Each traffic infraction, misdemeanor, or felony will add points to your license. These points determine whether your license could get suspended.
Working with a traffic violations lawyer can help you defend yourself from these charges so you can maintain your ability to get around. Contact our defense lawyer today to improve your odds in court.
Lancaster Area DUI Charges
An individual over the age of 21 drives under the influence if he or she has a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08% or more. Drivers under the age of 21 are seen as under the influence even if their BAC is as low as 0.01%.
Unlike many other traffic violations, you will have your license suspended right away if you get convicted of a DUI. The length of this suspension will vary based on your age and whether it is your first DUI offense. For example, if you are over 21 and this is your first DUI charge, your license will be suspended for 4 months.
The courts will also suspend your license if you get pulled over and refuse to take a chemical test to determine your BAC. A first-time refusal will allow the court system to:
- Suspend your license for an entire year.
- You will also have to pay a $125 fine.
In addition to losing your license, a DUI conviction carries other serious repercussions. You could end up paying high fines and, depending on your situation, you might end up in jail. You can take steps to handle your DUI charge the right way by hiring a criminal defense lawyer — in this case, a DUI defense lawyer — with a proven history of success who may be able to help you fight these charges to get your life back in order.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Traffic Violations in Lancaster, CA
Traffic violations are not nearly as severe as a DUI charge, but they can still add points to your license and cost you money. The state of California will suspend your license if you collect:
- 4 points over the course of 1 year.
- 6 points over the course of 2 years.
- 8 points over the course of 3 years.
Most traffic violations will add 1 point to your license, and these points can add up quickly. Common traffic violations include:
- Running a Red Light
- Driving Without Insurance
If you are caught performing one of these acts, law enforcements officers usually will give you a ticket. Note that many red lights in Lancaster may utilize cameras to monitor driver behavior. If the camera records you running a red light, you will receive a ticket for the traffic violation that you must take seriously.
Traffic violations may come with fines of up to $450 for a first-time offense. Depending on your exact situation, your car could also get impounded.
Misdemeanor Traffic Charges in California
A misdemeanor traffic charge can come with serious consequences in the Lancaster area. These charges typically add two points to your license for a first offense. There are two common examples of traffic charges that the court system treats like misdemeanors:
Driving on a Suspended or Revoked License
This charge applies to individuals who drove their vehicle while knowing that their license was suspended or revoked. There are several different penalties associated with driving while your license is either revoked or suspended. The repercussions vary depending on why your license was suspended or revoked.
However, almost all these penalties will result in you spending up to 6 months in jail and paying fines of up to $1,000.
The state of California considers driving a motor vehicle in a way that shows willful disregard for others’ safety to be reckless driving. There are many actions that the court system considers reckless driving, including:
- Road Raging
- Speeding Excessively
- Engaging in Daredevil Behavior
You could end up spending 90 days in jail if convicted of reckless driving. You might also face fines of $1,000 and deal with probation for a lengthy period.
A DUI Conviction Has More Consequences Than with the Law
After getting convicted of a DUI, you may face more consequences than just the ones the courts give you. Other consequences can include:
- You could lose your current employment if they find out about your DUI. It is also more difficult to gain employment if potential employers find a DUI on your record.
- Your driving record is negatively impacted, and you might have to install an ignition interlock device.
- Your friends and family could see you in a different light.
- You might have to pay large fines after the conviction, causing you to deal with financial hardship.
- If you don’t continue to attend required court obligations or pay your fines, you might receive more punishments.
Let our attorneys help you avoid a DUI conviction and all these extra consequences altogether. We can fight to reduce or drop your charges, so you don’t have to worry about the impacts a DUI conviction has on your future.
Fight Traffic Violation Charges with Our Lancaster DUI Attorney
A conviction for a traffic charge can cost you time, money, and even your driver’s license. You can defend yourself from these charges by working with the DUI and traffic violations lawyers of Simmrin Law Group. We have a long history of successfully winning cases in the Los Angeles County area.
Find out how we can help you by contacting us for a FREE consultation. You can reach us right away by filling out the form or giving us a call.