You don’t have to try to handle charges for driving under the influence (DUI) in Lomita, CA on your own. The legal professionals at the Simmrin Law Group are ready to start working on all aspects of your defense right now. You can count on us to:
- Protect your rights during legal interviews
- Investigate the facts of your case
- Work to block evidence against you
- Assess any plea bargains you’re offered
- Take steps to defend you in and out of the courtroom
Speak with our DUI lawyers in Lomita today to get the help you need after an arrest.
The Facts About DUIs in Lomita
DUI charges can be difficult to understand if you do not have professional experience with California’s legal codes. Put simply, you may be charged with a DUI if you:
- Operate a motor vehicle while
- Under the influence of alcohol OR
- Under the influence of illicit drugs or some prescription medications
You may face DUI charges if your blood alcohol content (BAC) exceeds the legal limits set by the state. You can also be charged with a DUI if your BAC is under the legal limit but you are believed to be intoxicated by a law enforcement officer.
Charges Used to Prosecute Lomita DUIs
The court system does not have a specific charge set aside to handle all DUI charges in Lomita. Instead, you can face a number of different charges based upon your specific situation. You should contact a criminal defense lawyer in Lomita if you are charged with:
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(a): Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(b): Driving with A Blood Alcohol Content Of 0.08 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(g): Driving Under the Combined Influence of Alcohol and Drugs
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(f): Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
These are only examples of the DUI charges used in Lomita. There are several other charges that could be brought against you following a DUI arrest. Most of these charges are prosecuted as misdemeanors. However, you could face felony charges if:
- Someone was hurt during a DUI accident
- You have previous DUI convictions on your record
License Suspensions and DUIs in Lomita
You can lose your driving privileges if you are arrested for a DUI in Lomita. In some cases, your license can be suspended even if you are not convicted of a DUI. This is because the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) retains the right to suspend your license automatically if:
- You are arrested for a DUI and
- You do not request a DMV hearing within 10 days
Your license could be suspended for a year for a first-time DUI offense. This suspension can grow longer if you are arrested for subsequent DUIs. If someone was hurt in an accident that occurred while you were under the influence your license could even be revoked.
Additional Penalties for Lomita DUI Convictions
The court system punishes DUI convictions in Lomita in a number of ways. You will not just have to deal with a license suspension if you are convicted. A first-time conviction for a DUI can also lead to:
- Fines of up to $2,000
- Jail time of up to six months
These penalties will also increase if you are convicted of subsequent DUI offenses. A second conviction for a DUI in Lomita can result in:
- Fines of up to $2,500
- Jail time of up to one year
Handling DUI accusations can be incredibly difficult on your own. Fortunately, a traffic violations lawyer in Lomita can help you build a strong defense to the charges you’re facing. Get professional help on your side now.
Lomita DUIs Charges and Legal Defenses
Prosecutors often try to convince you that you cannot beat a DUI charge in Lomita, especially if your BAC was reported as over the legal limit. However, you do have legal options following a DUI arrest. Your lawyer could be able to show that:
- You were illegally stopped by a police officer
- You were not operating your vehicle while inebriated
- Your BAC was falsely reported by chemical tests
These arguments could get your charges reduced or even dismissed. They can also be used to protect you in court here in Lomita.
Get Support from a Lomita DUI Lawyer
Taking on DUI charges can be easier if you work with a DUI lawyer in Lomita quickly after you are arrested. The professionals at the Simmrin Law Group can begin constructing your defense now. Call (310) 997-4688 or complete our online contact form to learn more.
You can easily reach us to get a FREE case evaluation in Lomita.