A conviction for driving under the influence (DUI) in Malibu can have lasting impacts on your life. You could end up facing high fines, a lengthy jail sentence, and the suspension of your driver’s license. You might even have to attend an alcohol treatment program following a DUI conviction.
Fortunately, you can get professional help handling DUI charges by reaching out to the Simmrin Law Group. Speak to our DUI lawyers in Malibu right now to get legal advice. We are ready to get to work on your defense today, increasing your chances of successfully resolving a DUI charge.
The Basics About DUIs in Malibu
Drivers in Malibu may face DUI charges if they are accused of:
- Operating a motor vehicle while
- Under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or prescription medications
Note that California has set firm limits on the amount of alcohol you can drink before you are no longer allowed to legally operate a vehicle. You can be charged with a DUI if your blood alcohol content (BAC) meets or exceeds:
- 0.08% if you are over 21
- 0.04% if you are a commercial driver over 21
- 0.01% if you are under 21
DUI charges for both alcohol and drug use may be prosecuted as misdemeanors or felonies, though misdemeanor charges are used more frequently.
For a free legal consultation with a Criminal Defense lawyer serving Malibu, call (310) 928-9347
Examples of Malibu DUI Charges
The court system in Malibu does not use just one charge to prosecute DUIs. Instead, there are multiple charges that can be brought against drivers, depending upon their exact circumstances. Some of the most common DUI charges in Malibu include:
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(a): Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(b): Driving with A Blood Alcohol Content Of 0.08 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(d): Driving a Commercial Vehicle with a Blood Alcohol Content of 0.04 Percent or Higher
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(g): Driving Under the Combined Influence of Alcohol and Drugs
- California Vehicle Code Section 23152(f): Driving Under the Influence of Drugs
All of these charges can be incredibly difficult to handle on your own. Make sure you are ready to protect your future following a DUI accusation by reaching out to a criminal defense lawyer in Malibu immediately after your arrest.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Penalties for Malibu DUI Convictions
It can be challenging to understand the exact penalties used to prosecute DUI convictions in Malibu. This is because the penalties for DUIs will grow more severe each time you are arrested and convicted. Let’s consider how the repercussions for DUI convictions change right now:
First DUI Conviction
- Fines of up to $2,000
- Jail time of up to six months
- License suspension of up to one year
Second DUI Conviction
- Fines of up to $2,500
- Jail time of up to one year
- License suspension of up to two years
Third DUI Conviction
- Fines of up to $3,000
- Jail time of up to one year
- License suspension of up to three years
Click to contact our Criminal Defense Lawyers today
DUIs and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
Drivers accused of a DUI in Malibu will face criminal charges that can be handled in the court system. The DMV also plays a role in the aftermath of a DUI arrest. You are required to request a DMV hearing within 10 days of an arrest for a DUI.
If you do not request your DMV hearing, your driver’s license can be automatically suspended. Let the professionals at the Simmrin Law Group make sure your hearing is requested in a timely fashion. We’re ready to help you during this hearing as well as during your criminal trial.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Building a Defense to Malibu DUI Charges
You can take charge of your future if you are accused of a DUI in Malibu by reaching out to a DUI lawyer. Your lawyer can investigate your case and work to show that:
- You should never have been stopped for a DUI
- Any tests you took to measure your BAC returned faulty results
- You were not inebriated when you were operating your vehicle
Depending upon your situation, a criminal defense lawyer could be able to get your charges reduced. In some cases, DUI charges may even be dismissed, allowing you to move forward with your life. Get more information about your legal options with the Simmrin Law Group.
A Malibu DUI Lawyer Can Build Your Defense
Get ready to construct a strong defense to DUI charges in Malibu with the Simmrin Law Group. You can easily reach us after you are charged with a DUI. Just fill out our online contact form or call (310) 997-4688 to get professional help in your corner.
You can review your legal options with a FREE initial case evaluation offered by our DUI lawyers in Malibu.