The court system in Palmdale, CA treats sex crimes very seriously. You could face hefty fines or years of incarceration if you are convicted of acts that are considered sexual misconduct or sexual abuse. A sex crimes conviction could also force you to register as a sex offender, impacting where you can live and work.
You don’t have to handle the draining process of fighting a sex crimes charge on your own. There are sex crimes lawyers right here in Palmdale who can assist you in and out of the courtroom. The Simmrin Law Group understands what you need and we’re ready to help you build a defense.
Defend Against Sex Crime Charges in Palmdale
California uses the umbrella terms of sexual misconduct and sexual abuse to cover many criminal acts, including:
- Lewd Conduct
- Indecent Exposure
- Sexual Battery
There are also specific charges used to address sex crimes that involve minors in any way, such as:
- Child Pornography
- Seduce or Solicit a Minor
- Traveling to Meet a Minor
- Statutory Rape
You can also face sex crime charges for human trafficking and failure to register as a sex offender. A sex crimes conviction can impact you for the rest of your life, and these charges can be tricky to fight. Working with a skilled criminal defense lawyer can help improve your chances for a legal victory.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Palmdale, call (310) 928-9347
Prostitution and Human Trafficking Sex Crimes in California
Prostitution occurs when someone exchanges a sexual act for some form of payment. You can be charged for prostituting yourself or soliciting a prostitute in Palmdale. Any involvement in prostitution can lead to 180 days of jail time for a first-time offense.
The act of human trafficking is far more serious than prostitution. You can be charged with human trafficking if you compel someone to perform an illegal act, usually by depriving them of their liberty in some way.
Human trafficking is always treated as a felony in the Palmdale court system. Depending on your circumstances, you could end up spending life in prison if you are convicted. Work to protect your future by contacting a sex crimes lawyer to help you handle these charges.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Palmdale’s Indecent Exposure and Lewd Conduct Charges
Indecent exposure is defined the intentional exposure of private parts in a public place. You can be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony if you are accused of indecent exposure. An indecent exposure conviction can result in prison time of up to 3 years.
You engage in lewd conduct if you:
- Ask someone to touch your private parts.
- Touch your own private parts.
- Touch someone else’s private parts.
This touching must occur in a public place for a lewd conduct charge to apply. The court system treats lewd conduct as a misdemeanor that can lead to fines of $1,000 and 6 months of jail time.
Sex Crime Charges for Sexual Battery and Rape
Palmdale considers sexual battery to be the act of touching someone in an unwanted sexual manner without forcing intercourse. You can be charged with a misdemeanor or a felony if accused of sexual battery.
Rape occurs if someone is forced to participate in a non-consensual sex act. An individual could be physically forced, threatened, drugged, or otherwise taken advantage of in order for this sex act to take place.
Some non-consensual sex acts are referred to as date rape. Date rape is unique in that the victim and the accused party typically knew one another in some way. The court system in California views all forms of rape as a felony. You could spend up to 8 years in prison if convicted of rape.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Sex Crimes Involving Minors in Palmdale
Any sex crimes carried out against children will be dealt with severely by the court system in Palmdale. The court can use the terms child molestation or child sexual abuse to describe many criminal acts that involve sexual behavior that a child would find disturbing or irritating.
Some of the specific sex crimes charges involving minors include:
- Child Pornography. The courts consider any sexual image of a minor to be child pornography. You can face misdemeanor or felony charges if you are in any way involved with child pornography and if convicted you could spend 8 years in prison.
- Seduce or Solicit a Minor. The charge of seduce or solicit a minor involves using a computer or the internet to engage in sexual misconduct with a child. The courts can treat seducing or soliciting a minor as a misdemeanor or a felony.
- Traveling to Meet a Minor. Traveling to meet a minor occurs if you plan to meet up with a minor because of sexual interest in them. This is sometimes called arranging to meet a minor for lewd purposes. Traveling to meet a minor can lead to misdemeanor or felony charges.
- Statutory Rape. You can be charged with statutory rape if you have sex with anyone under 18 years of age. The courts sometimes refer to statutory rape as unlawful sexual activity with a minor. You might face misdemeanor or felony charges if accused of statutory rape.
Palmdale’s Charges for Failure to Register as a Sex Offender
Many convictions for sex crimes in California will require you to register with the state as a sex offender. This requirement is taken very seriously by the court system. If you fail to comply with this ruling, you may be charged with another misdemeanor or a felony.
Get Help Handling Sex Crimes Charges
You can suffer from the repercussions from a sex crime conviction for years to come. Start working on your defense right away to improve your chances in court. The Simmrin Law Group has a history of winning cases in Palmdale and our lawyers are ready to start building your case. We offer a FREE consultation so you can discuss your situation. Contact us today by calling (310) 997-4688 or by filling out the form on the right.