You can get fast legal help if you are accused of arson in Torrance, CA. The professionals at the Simmrin Law Group are ready to start working on your defense right now. We can help you immediately after you are arrested as we:
- Advise you during legal interviews
- Help you understand your charges
- Assist during bail hearings
- Go over any plea bargains you’re offered
- Work to get your charges reduced or dismissed
Our team of arson defense lawyers in Torrance can also defend you in the courtroom. We’re ready to go over your specific situation so we can develop a personalized defense for you.
Consider the Basic Definition of Arson in Torrance
According to the state of California, arson refers to the act of intentionally setting fire to:
- Forested land
- A structure
- A motor vehicle
- Someone else’s property
You could even be charged with arson if you set fire to your own property and the flames spread to someone else’s land or possessions. Arson can be punished very harshly in Torrance, as acts of arson could result in wildfires throughout the state.
A criminal defense lawyer in Torrance can help if you are accused of arson. Getting professional help quickly can increase your odds of resolving an arson charge in your favor.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Torrance, call (310) 928-9347
Types of Arson Charges Used in Torrance
You can face one of two primary arson charges if you are accused of intentionally starting a fire in Torrance. Depending upon your situation, you could be charged under:
California Penal Code Section 451: Malicious Arson
Malicious arson is a serious criminal offense. Individuals may face charges for malicious arson if they are accused of starting a fire, arranging to start a fire, assisting in starting a fire, or counseling others who are setting a fire in order to:
- Defraud an insurance company
- Hurt or kill someone else
- Damage someone else’s property in anger or for revenge
Torrance prosecutes malicious arson as a felony.
California Penal Code Section 452: Reckless Burning
Reckless burning is generally considered less serious than malicious arson. You might face misdemeanor or felony charges if you are accused of reckless burning. Individuals commit reckless burning if they start a fire:
- For the thrill of it or to amuse themselves
- Because they are dealing with a mental illness
- For any reason that is not motivated by malice
A property crimes lawyer in Torrance can help you handle both malicious arson and reckless burning charges. Find out how you can build a defense right now with the team at the Simmrin Law Group.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Results of Arson Convictions in Torrance
As we mentioned, arson can be a serious concern in California due to the damage caused by wildfires throughout the state. This means that arson charges are often punished very harshly. If you are charged with a misdemeanor, you could face:
- Fines of up to $1,000
- Jail time of up to six months
Felony charges for reckless burning or malicious arson could result in:
- Fines of up to $50,000 OR
- Fines of up to twice the amount you would get from an insurance settlement for the fire
- Up to three years in prison for setting fire on your property if it spread to someone else’s property
- Up to six years in prison for setting fire to an uninhabited property
- Up to eight years in prison for setting fire to inhabited structures
- Up to nine years in prison for setting a fire that caused someone great bodily harm
You may also face enhanced penalties in some circumstances. The court system in Torrance can add up to five years to your sentence if:
- You were previously convicted of arson
- You used accelerants
- You use a tool to delay the start of the fire
- The fire involved multiple structures
- The fire hurt more than two people
- The fire hurt an emergency worker
Build a Defense to Arson Charges in Torrance
An arson defense lawyer can help you handle the charges you are facing right now. The team at the Simmrin Law Group can assess the facts surrounding your case. We may be able to demonstrate that:
- You didn’t intend to start a fire
- You didn’t act maliciously when lighting a fire
- You were falsely accused of arson
Contact us right away to find out how we can help you resolve arson charges in Torrance successfully.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Speak with a Torrance Arson Defense Lawyer Now
Take proactive steps if you are accused of arson in Torrance. Reach out to the Simmrin Law Group for help constructing your defense. You can start getting answers to all of your legal questions now by completing a FREE case evaluation with our arson defense lawyers in Torrance.
Call (310) 997-4688 or fill out our online contact form to get started right now.