You can get help handling grand theft charges in Torrance by contacting the Simmrin Law Group today. Let us take charge of your defense immediately after an arrest for grand theft or grand theft auto in Torrance.
It’s easy to reach our grand theft lawyers in Torrance. Let us investigate the charges you are facing right now so that we can take steps to:
- Block evidence against you
- Get your charges reduced or dismissed
- Defend you in and out of the courtroom
Review the Definition of Grand Theft in Torrance
There are many different theft crimes in Torrance. Grand theft is one example of a theft crime charge. According to California Penal Code Section 487, you could be charged with grand theft if you are accused of:
- Directly taking items of value from someone else
- Taking any property worth more than $950
- Taking agricultural or aquacultural products worth more than $250
- Taking a motor vehicle, firearm, or horse of any value.
Note that, in cases of theft involving the use of force or threats, you could face more serious charges for robbery. You can get help handling any of these charges by reaching out to a criminal defense lawyer in Torrance today.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Torrance, call (310) 928-9347
Grand Theft vs. Grand Theft Auto Charges in Torrance
We mentioned that you will always be charged with grand theft if you are accused of stealing a motor vehicle. Technically, this act will be prosecuted as grand theft auto under California Penal Code Section 487(d)(1). However, grand theft and grand theft auto are treated very similarly by the California court system.
A conviction for either grand theft or grand theft auto will result in similar penalties. A theft crimes lawyer in Torrance can build a defense to both of these charges for you.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Misdemeanor vs. Felony Grand Theft Charges
Grand theft charges can be prosecuted as either a misdemeanor or a felony in Torrance. Misdemeanor-level offenses are considered less serious. Prosecutors may decide how to handle your charges based upon:
- Your previous criminal record
- The specifics of your current case
You should be aware that most cases of grand theft involving a motor vehicle will be charged as a felony. Additionally, all grand theft cases involving firearms will be prosecuted as felonies.
Outcomes of Grand Theft Convictions in Torrance
Now that we’ve reviewed the basics regarding misdemeanor and felony grand theft charges, we can focus on the results of a grand theft conviction. Depending upon your situation, you could face:
- Jail time of up to one year for misdemeanor grand theft
- Prison time of up to three years for felony grand theft
You should be aware that you can also have additional time added to your sentence if you are accused of stealing items worth more than $65,000. This often applies to grand theft auto cases. You may also be required to pay court fines and restitution to victims of theft if you are convicted.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Build a Defense for Torrance Grand Theft Charges
You have options if you are accused of grand theft in Torrance. A legal professional can investigate your case and speak with witnesses while developing an understanding of your situation. Based upon your situation, your grand theft lawyer could demonstrate that:
- You had the owner’s permission to take the property
- You did not intend to actually steal anything
- You took property that belonged to you
- You were falsely accused of grand theft
The team at the Simmrin Law Group understands what it takes to build a successful defense to grand theft charges in Torrance. Let us begin addressing your legal needs right now.
Get Help with All Aspects of Your Legal Case
Here at the Simmrin Law Group, we understand that grand theft charges can be complicated. You will likely face multiple legal hurdles during your case. That’s why we’re ready to:
- Help you during interviews with police officers and prosecutors
- Monitor the police investigation to make sure they respect your rights
- Take steps to suppress evidence against you
- Assess plea bargains offered by prosecutors
- Get your charges reduced or even dismissed
- Fight for you in and out of the courtroom
You can boost your odds of successfully resolving a grand theft accusation in Torrance by contacting legal professionals right away after you are arrested.
Speak to a Torrance Grand Theft Lawyer Immediately
Get help with grand theft charges in Torrance by reaching out to the Simmrin Law Group now. We can help you handle grand theft or grand theft auto charges. Start constructing your defense today by calling (310) 997-4688 or completing our online contact form.
Our grand theft lawyers in Torrance can provide you with a FREE consultation now.