Trespassing is a serious criminal charge in Torrance, CA. You can face a trespassing charge just for entering someone else’s property without their permission. You can face fines and time in jail if you are convicted of trespassing in Torrance.
You can improve your odds of successfully resolving a trespassing allegation by working with the professionals at the Simmrin Law Group. Our trespassing lawyers in Torrance are ready to help you handle charges for:
- Basic trespassing
- Criminal trespassing
- Aggravated trespassing
Review the Facts About Basic Trespassing in Torrance
Entering someone else’s property without permission can result in trespassing charges. This basic act of trespassing is generally treated as an infraction. Infractions are not technically considered crimes in Torrance; they are minor offenses.
Because infractions are not technically crimes, you will not face time in jail or prison if you are accused of basic trespassing. However, you can still face fines. Criminal defense lawyers in Torrance take all trespassing charges seriously and they can help you handle basic trespassing allegations.
For a free legal consultation with a lawyer serving Torrance, call (310) 928-9347
Criminal Trespassing Charges in Torrance
As we mentioned, basic trespassing is considered an infraction in Torrance. The courts in California also uses several other charges to prosecute trespassing as a criminal act. You could be charged with:
- Criminal trespassing if you enter someone else’s property to interfere with it or damage it
- Aggravated trespassing if you threaten someone and then enter their place of business, home, or a building adjacent to their home
Note that you can be charged with criminal trespassing even if you do not successfully interfere with or damage someone else’s property. Merely intending to cause damage or interference can be enough to result in a conviction in Torrance.
Additionally, you should only be charged with aggravated trespassing if you enter someone’s property or place of business within 30 days of making a threat. If this period of time has elapsed, you may be able to avoid an aggravated trespassing charge.
Criminal Defense Lawyer Near Me (310) 928-9347
Focus on the Penalties for Trespassing in Torrance
Basic trespassing is an infraction that can result in fines. Criminal trespassing and aggravated trespassing are treated more seriously by the court system. You can be charged with a misdemeanor for criminal trespassing. Aggravated trespassing can result in misdemeanor or felony charges depending upon:
- Your prior criminal history
- The facts of your current case
You can face several different penalties for a trespassing conviction, depending upon the type of charges you are facing and the number of previous trespassing convictions you have on your record. Let’s go over the results of a trespassing conviction now:
Fines for Trespassing
- Up to $1,000 for a first-time criminal trespassing conviction
- Up to $2,000 for a subsequent criminal trespassing conviction
- Up to $2,000 for a misdemeanor aggravated trespassing conviction
- Up to $10,000 for a felony aggravated trespassing conviction
Incarceration for Trespassing
- Up to six months for a first-time criminal trespassing conviction
- Up to one year for a subsequent criminal trespassing conviction
- Up to one year for a misdemeanor aggravated trespassing conviction
- Up to three years for a felony aggravated trespassing conviction
Get Professional Help with Trespassing Charges
You can improve your odds of successfully handling a trespassing charge in Torrance by working with legal professionals as soon as you are arrested. A property crimes lawyer in Torrance can focus on your unique legal needs by:
- Investigating your case
- Monitoring the police investigation to ensure you are treated fairly
- Advising you during legal interviews
- Helping with your bail hearing when applicable
- Assessing all plea bargains you are offered
- Working to get your charges reduced or even dismissed
- Building a courtroom-ready defense for you
The professionals at the Simmrin Law Group understand how to handle trespassing charges in Torrance. Depending upon the specifics of your situation, we may be able to show that:
- You were given permission to enter someone else’s property
- You entered property without intending to interfere with it or damage it
- You were attempting to leave the property after being asked to go
- You did not threaten anyone before entering their home or place of business
Start getting the aggressive support you need to handle trespassing charges in Torrance by contacting us now.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
A Torrance Trespassing Lawyer Can Stand Up for You
Reach out to the Simmrin Law Group today if you are accused of trespassing in Torrance. We are ready to help you handle infraction, misdemeanor, and felony trespassing charges. Begin working on your defense now by calling (310) 997-4688 or filling out our online contact form.
You can get answers to your legal questions with a FREE initial case evaluation from our trespassing lawyers in Torrance.